- advertisement -

Lunch at School

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Leece, May 9, 2014.

1. Leece

Leece Approved members

Afternoon,

My DD will be starting Grade 1 this fall and I'm wondering what other parents do at school for lunch. We will probably have an aid for her and she is on a Animas Pump. Do you "code" or package it differently for morning snack, lunch, aftn snack?

Thanks!

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Always " healthier" foods because they eat often and you don't want highs all day. We usually do wraps high in fiber, "light" bread as in low cal/fat. She gets a normal snack though, but usually 100 calorie packs of cookies, pretzels

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So I tried to search, but could not find my prior posting on this subject.

So she has a Lunch bag, in it I had my mother in law sew a small "AM snack" bag with a pocket in front to hold a post-it that has the carb count. And then there is a larger fabric bag with a pocket that holds the carb count for lunch.

She used to have a PM snack bag too, but I have just increased her basal a bit and that snack is now in her backpack in her classroom and she may have it in the afternoon, I limit it to below 14 carbs since we are not doing a BG check and will pick up with in an hour.

So yes within her lunch bag we have the snacks and lunch separated and carb counted by themselves. I also have a "Lilly- Frog log page" in her kit that has the carb counts for each of the snacks/lunches.

I will try the search again, because I had a picture too, even the frog log.

4. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

I use small brown bags for the AM and PM snacks. I write the carb count on the bag along with a label with the phone number to reach me or my husband. For lunch, I write the carb count for each item ( in case he doesn't eat something) on an index card again with a phone number label. I like having our phone numbers right there so they don't have to go look for them.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My first grader takes a lunch box every day. I pack the food and use an index card where I write each food and the amount along with the carb count. Then I put a total at the bottom. I have found that he does better when I include as much protein as possible - I have found some of the high protein yogurts really help too. I pack a snack in a ziploc bag in a separate part of his bookbag - I also include the index card with carb count right in the bag with the snack. After lunch my son takes the remaining lunch he didn't eat and the index card so the nurse can adjust any carb counts as necessary. She just throws it away when finished.

This has worked for us for two years. Good luck!

Hope this helps.

6. Justme-Stephanie

Justme-Stephanie Approved members

This is our 3rd year dealing with school lunches, Rosilyn eats school prepared food for breakfast and lunch, we look at the menu the week before and if there is something she doesn't like we will send the meal from home with carb counts. Our school district offers the nutrition information about all the food they serve, every month I receive a printout of each days meals with serving size and carb counts. Rosilyn at age 9 pretty much self manages her diabetes during the day at school with exception rules,(if she is low and unable to improve on her own after 2 treatment, then the nurse is called)She carries juices, candy, and snacks with her, She has to change classes multiple times a day, each teacher has been trained by me, in ways to assist her in self management. During meals-she takes them to the clinic and calculates her food with the printouts, checks bg, enters into pump, PDA/nurse double checks information and all is done.

This is the way we have done thing for the last 2 years, Rosilyn has learned to control herself well, the first year we relied on the nurse to do everything and found that Rosilyn was spending 1/2 her day in the office or in transit to, and there were too many interruptions on the nurses end that she was making mistakes and Rosilyn was getting very far behind in her schooling, that a solution had to be figured out.

7. glko

glko Approved members

My ds is in 4th grade, he is the only T1 in the school. Our school cook sends the lunch menu home with ds a month ahead of time and we go through it with him and highlight the days he would like hot lunch and send it back to her. She emails dh and me and the school nurse the carb counts for days he will eat hot lunch broken down by item. For cold lunch days I include a note in his lunch box with the carb counts of each item and total carbs. He uses the Ping so boluses for total carbs plus any correction needed. He goes to the nurses office for this. Since he is in 4th grade they do not have snacks and I am thankful for that!

8. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My daughter is in second grade, although very mature for a second grader. She has a free snack for morning snack and then takes a carb snack for the afternoon. She just knows which one is which, no separate labeling. If the afternoon is non-packaged, I just put a post it with the carb count on the item. The nurse comes to her classroom and oversees, but my daughter does everything and records it in the log.

She eats school lunch 90% of the time. We get the menu before the month starts and the school system provides the carb counts for 99% of the items. It is actually pretty easy because they have a set menu program for the schools and have it broken down like a calendar. I just add the lunch up ahead of time and then send it on a post it in her bag. Most of the time I am actually there to oversee becasue I have to come to school for my disabled daughter, but in the rare occasion I'm not there, the nurse just uses that carb count. Maison knows she has to eat everything on the tray and this hasn't been an issue. At any rate, she's going to have a snack in about an hour and a half after she finishes lunch anyway.

During the times between meals, she keeps an eye on her Dexcom and if she alarms low, she just goes ahead and treats with one starburst or one glucose tab, without testing. This is generally just enough carbs to bring her up to an acceptable level and keeps her from having to leave class to go to the nurse of her other trained diabetes person.

9. Leece

Leece Approved members

Thanks for the great suggestions! I have some new ideas.

10. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Let me also add that at lunch or snack the nurse comes to my daughter's classroom instead of my daughter coming to her. she just grabs the logbook and takes it there. This saves alot of time out of class.