- advertisement -

Luke now has hypothyroidism :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MySweethearts, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I just got a call yesterday that Luke's blood work test came back showing he has hypthyroidism:( I was so sad yesterday, I feel better today though. I have hashi's so I do understand this part of what he has to go through. He has to get more blood work done at the end of the month to see if it is hashi's as well, I hope not. But, I have a question. Would sythroid make his BS go up? He BS was very high this morning, but he also jammed his thumb playing football yesterday and it was hurting him this morning. So that could be the reason too:confused: I would think the dr. would tell me if the meds would make his BS go up.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

same boat as you.
    Going on Friday for the test for the Hashi's.
    I was told that it doesn't effect blood sugar.
    I was also told that it makes no difference if it's hashi's or hypothyrodisism.
    I still hope it's not the hashi's for some reason:confused:

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Hashimoto's disease and Hypothyroidism are somewhat the same thing- Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where the body is fighting it. Hypothyroidism is where the gland itself just isn't working properly.

Abby has been dxd with Hashimoto's now for over a year. If her dosage isn't right we see elevated or low blood sugars. You very well could see higher b/s due to an injury also. I suspect you'll see a change in b/s with medication adjustments as far as the thyroid goes.

Good luck!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im so sorry about the diagnosis Carmen:(

5. samheis

samheis Approved members

I'm really sorry. We were told pretty much the same at yesterday's visit. She said it was hashimoto's , but not much more other than that it wasn't enough to have to treat yet.

6. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I'm sorry. It is not fair :(

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm sorry. Too many dx of all sorts of things lately, to too many of our kids.

8. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I am sorry..sometimes this all is just not fair

9. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

We had weeks of lows starting with the first dose that continued for almost 2 months while we were getting the meds straight. I was told the meds wouldn't affect BS, but I was clearly able to document the opposite, and the lows were so extreme and prolonged compared to the months before they decided that it was not the meds but her 'increased metabolism due to correct thyroid levels" um.....isn't that an effect of medication?!

10. shekov

shekov Approved members

Previous Post is very illuminating! I hadn't thought of that before.

Sorry for your child's dx.

Fortunately, this is a disease that is easier to treat than D.

11. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I am so sorry for the new dx. it really isn't fair!!!! Our kids have way to much on their plate!

Did any of you have unexplained lows before dx?

12. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Yes, but then when we got on the pump, not really.

The first couple of months of synthroid we had beautiful bg's. Then we had to drop the dose, and went back to normal--high normal high normal....etc.

13. lisalotsamom

lisalotsamom Approved members

Sorry you are adding another autoimmune issue.

Tessa also has hypothyroidism, and it's not really even a blip on my radar, since it's well-controlled with Synthroid. We haven't noticed any differences in her BG's with the meds.

14. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Thank you all so much for the kind words, it means a lot. :) Also, for answering my questions, the info. was very interesting.