- advertisement -

Lowest low??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by still..hopeful, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

I think ours was 52. She was shaky, but otherwise bubbly. We all got a good laugh at the meter, which said, "Do you need a snack?" :D She tends to get shaky around 90-95.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think if the bg is dropping slowly, then they might not feel it. But if it's dropping fast, then they might feel it. But this is a might thing, not a sure thing.
    BTW, as I was typing the above, my son came in telling his bg is going low very fast...sure enough...63...it's amazing!
    Remember, as one great philosopher said, YDMV:)

3. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor's lowest low was 31. I had accidently stacked insulin while he was still on MDI and we were pretty new to everything. I felt so bad.

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

My SD's was 32 and it happened at school.

5. jmcole1

jmcole1 Approved members

My daughter was 29 and unconscious. It was the middle of the night.

JC

Mom to:

Lauren (15): dx on 4/27/02
    Lindsay (9)
    Shane (7)

6. Weezay

Weezay Approved members

The lowest I have ever tested was 8 and i had a sesiure, but on a regular basic my lowest low is between 30 and 35

7. CButler

CButler Approved members

Correction....her lowest number today was 36! :eek: She kept saying she wanted to shut her eyes. For the first time in a long time, she was sweating. She also said it came on her suddenly. Two glucose tablets brought it up 60 points in 10 minutes. I've been testing her more frequently all day.

8. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

LOW on the meter and acting fine - have had a 26 that scared the daylights out of me

9. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

I can't believe meters will actually read LO. Is that considered zero? Alyssa becomes cranky when she gets below 80. Her endo said she has been high for so long that her body doesn't know how to act.

10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

For most meters LO means under 20- I learned that at camp when I the nurses frantically searched the meter manual. It can be different depending on the meter so check your manual or call the company.

11. 3js

3js Approved members

My son was 1.9 yesterday while we were walking home from store. Totally unexpected, he ate and was 8.5 before going. I had no cell phone with me. But he had 2 tubes glucose, juice, granola bar in his d-bag he always carries. So we sat on a bench, and he ate pretty much a tube of tabs, plus bar and juice. I kept testing every couple of minutes (literally) to make sure he was going up not down still. Took all of that and about 15-20 min, still only 4.1!!

By the time we walked rest of way and got home he was back to 8.5.

Now I will take my purse with me too, with my low sugar stuff, and make sure he has his phone and I have the glucagon.

We were on a street, and I would have had to drag him to get help. It was scary!!!!

12. sarah[:

sarah[: Approved members

39... i felt really low and i had been 44, so i had a juice. 10 minutes later, i was 39. it went up after that though.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth was 23 at his dad's once, he woke up and walked out saying he felt low...It doesn't say what insulin your child is on, but you lowered it right? Also, milk is not fast enough to treat a 44, you need juice. Milk is great to get them a little higher for bedtime, or mild lows, but a 44 needs juice.:cwds:

Sorry if I'm repeating what someone else already said, I didn't read the other responses..

14. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

Just three weeks ago he was 26! I tested him before lunch and expected a normal number as he didn't do anything exciting that morning (just some shopping). When I saw 26 I immediately gave him some glucose tabs and sat him down at the table to relax. Then gave him lunch and while he was eating he was almost passing out and didn't remember eating half his lunch. Quite a scary moment for me.

15. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Our 7 year-old's lowest #s are 37, 42, and 43. No seizures in the 3 years since diagnosis.

16. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

29, Julia was so tired after dx, that it wasn't odd for her to sleep in the car. I pulled up to the grocery store, and woke her, and she was so shaky, and pale. I tested, and about lost it. I gave her the last 3 glucose tabs in the car, and headed into the store. I bought a root beer out of the vending machine and opened it, and made her drink some. I know that sounds like over treating, but it was taking around 30g of carbs at that point to get her up from 40, I couldn't imagine what 29 would take.
    Long story short, it took a while, and about half the root beer, but she's ok, and never went that low again.

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Our lowest lows have been 38 and 39. Our average lows are in the 50's.

Funny thing is that some of her lows happen on endo days. She loves going to the endo clinic. I think she gets so excited that the adreneline brings her down fast.

She feels herself coming down when she is around 90. At the 70 mark, she knows it's time to eat or drink something. After that, she is unaware.

She never felt the 39 today becuase it was so rapid. She tried to lay down and ended up in the floor asking her sister for a juice box fast!

18. sarah[:

sarah[: Approved members

also, i've had 3 seizures before from low bs. so i don't know what exactly my bs was during those times. when my sugar drops quickly, i get seizures, and it had been not at first (like in the 60's). so i guess i've been lower, but i just haven't known...