- advertisement -

Low low low low....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Oct 1, 2014.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So over the last month or two - my little ones insulin needs have been going down and down and down! She's low ALL THE TIME, and it doesn't seem to matter how much I decrease her rates or ratios etc, she's still low.

and lows that don't make sense. Like 2 nights ago she went to bed at 7, and she was 2.2 at 3am (with an overnight basal of 0.05u/hr, and no bolus on board) - after 15g, 2.4. Gave 25g, 3.4. Another 25g, finally 4.4. I did a 50% temp basal the rest of the night and was only 6 in the AM. And this kind of thing is happening ALL DAY. I mean actually, today, had 7 lows, yesterday 5.

So, naturally every day I'm turning things down. She's now at less than 1/2 the insulin she was on a couple months ago. Her correction factor is twice what it was! She's now under 0.5u/kg of insulin/day. And, I still need to turn them down more!

I don't think its honeymooning - neither does her endo (my close friend who I asked). She had a couple months of honeymoon at the beginning - only needing 1-1.5u/day. Since then, she's been needing about 1u/kg.

So, we are going in on Friday for thyroid and celiac bloodwork. He said it could be either. I asked about Addisons and he says its so rare, he wouldn't think it was that. But, our family is also an "autoimmune stew" - so I wouldn't rule it out!

I guess I'm "hoping" its celiac - I have that, easy enough to deal with.

Anyone have a little one that had something similar? Did it end up being celiac or hyperthyroid? Anyones T1D have addisons??

Thanks!

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

So sorry. Lows are so hard to deal with. No wise words, but for me as a big grown up even very tiny amounts of insulin changes really impact. So if her total basal is 10 units a day are you saying her basal is down to 5? A slightly out of whack basal can really screw every other number. Are you doing anything different? Protein, fat, carb amounts or the relative amounts? Change in child's weight? Change in exercise? For me even 20 minutes more of walking a day impacts my insulin needs. I am not saying any of this is what is going on just some thoughts till you get some blood work done.ali

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

In terms of insulin, that basal amount seems awfully high. My 6yr old is less than 6u.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our DD was dx'd at four and we had about five years of odd phases of islet resurgence. Those "not diabetes" days were rough. Honestly, you're just a year in, her islet cells could easily be having a surge, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

Sometimes you just have to imagine that you are a small ship on a stormy sea. Eventually the sun will come out, and hopefully a celiac dx may not be in the cards.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

It's good to get the tests done but sometimes these things just happen. I would suspect there is not another issue. I would think celiac would give more sporadic lows. Any recent illness? Maybe she is not absorbing carbs well.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree with the others, it's good to get the tests done so you know where you stand, BUT, don't just assume it could be something worse. We had times in the early years where my daughters pancreas decided it was time to wake up and party. We'd have phases of seriously low insulin needs, due to new schedules, change of weather etc. I remember early on, our lantus was 1.5u and basals were practically that too.

I hope it's something as simple as that!

7. momofhannah

momofhannah New Member

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with celiac last week. She was diagnosed with T1D in June 2013. Not sure if this will help ease your worries but she showed no real symptons that we recognized including no regular lows. She was diagnosed through yearly blood work confirmed with an endoscopy. I agree with having the testing done but hopefully this will rule out celiac and the lows are just a result of the unpredictability of T1D. Best of luck.

8. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thanks everyone, trying not to worry. Good to know many of you noticed times like this as well... my endo swears there is no way she is producing endogenous insulin and it has to be something else...

Yes, she went from 10u of basal/day to 5u/day. And carb ratios from about 18, to 25. And correction factor of 7.5 to 11.5!!! So dramatic! She was on about 1u/kg/day, now under 0.5u/kg/day. I mean, before, we were pretty steady for months. Days of highs or lows and minor tweaks, but ... this just seems... yah dramatic I guess.

MsMikaliasmomma - I bet my now 4 y/o is as big as your 6 year old though!!! She's in size 6 clothing. Over 44 inches tall and 45lbs.