- advertisement -

Low Insulin requirements 6 months after dx

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by CeeJay, Oct 3, 2008.

1. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have a question for anyone who's had a similar experience. My son was dx'd type 1 this last April 2nd and over the last week has needed almost no insulin. He actually had a day in which his readings were all under 100 with no boluses (Novolog) except at dinner and then he ended up low at 56. I have upped his mealtime insulin unit/carb ratio from 1:25 to 1:55. I have reduced his 8 p.m. dose of Levemir from 7 units to 6 and he's still waking up around 100. He has skipped his breakfast bolus for the past several mornings and has had readings between 105-130 five hours later pre-lunch--and that's with a small snack following gym class which is about 90 mins before lunch. It's a blessing that he's not taking so many shots and his needs have been minimal so far, but is this common? Is he just experiencing a really nice honeymoon?

He's a late bloomer and is probably a third or so the way through puberty, barely 5'2" and about 92 pounds. He's only gained about 3 pounds over his pre-symptom weight. He's playing fall baseball right now, but the games don't involve any extreme workouts--it's more instructional/working on plays, skills, etc., so I wouldn't say his activity level is much higher or anything. To the contrary, he was much more active over the summer, I could hardly get him off his bike! And he swam a lot, too.

He went into the hospital 476 with ketones at diagnosis, so I have been assured there was no mistake in his diagnosis.

He wants nothing to do with a pump, and I worry what his injection doses will be like when the honeymoon is over. : (

Any insights/thoughts for this newbie d-mom would be most appreciated!

2. volund

volund Approved members

My girlfriend was on her honeymoon for ~a year post DX... but then there is the other extreme of some people having extremely short ones... All depends on the kid really.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Welcome CeeJay to CWD!!! We're sorry you had to find us, but glad you're here. :)

Your experience wasn't ours - my son's insulin needs were pretty high right from the start, but we have a saying around here Your Diabetes May Vary - YDMV. You may find more responses too in posting this question on the the 'Parents of Children with type 1' forum too. I bet there are some who have had similar experiences to your son's.

Again, it's great to have you here. Lots of wonderful folks here for support and wisdom. :cwds::cwds:

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi CeeJay,

Welcome to the CWD boards. My son was 15 at dx. He never had a honeymoon period but I get the impression that the honeymoon doesn't always start at dx. It can start later. So I'd guess that is what your son is going thru. But it sounds like it's going well! Not too many lows.

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

It sounds to me like your son is having a very very nice honeymoon. Our doc said the longest run he'd ever seen was 2 years, but I've heard of even a bit longer.

And yes, it will end, and his insulin needs will go up -- maybe way up. Aaron was never taking "almost no insulin," but at 6 months post-dx he was taking around 20 units a day. Six months later it was more like 60, and by last spring he was averaging 65-70. Now it seems to be tapering back again, and we have had to reduce his insulin a bit -- I'm thinking because his growth rate has slowed and he's maybe most of the way through puberty.

But there's no need to worry about it (like mothers can stop worrying!) Whatever your son needs to keep his BG normal is fine. It's really not so different injecting 8 units for a meal than injecting 1 unit. He will have to get used to injecting with every meal, but it will become pretty routine.

The thing is, with most medication higher doses suggest a "worse" case of disease. That's not so with Type 1 diabetes. Teenage boys typically need a lot of insulin -- that's normal for them. It doesn't mean things are getting worse, it's just the nature of the beast.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to CWD!

6. DianninIowa

DianninIowa Approved members

similar story

my son went into a "honeymoon" two months after diagnosis and it lasted just short of a year. He just took 10 units of Lantus at night. Of course, it ended. He just approached me tonight about wanting a pump. I think the honeymoon period is kind of a "mean trick" of diabetes because you may begin to think it is over. I hope your son has a long period without insulin and you all enjoy this time. But, back to your original question: yes, that is exactly what happened with my son.

7. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I agree, it just sounds like he is having a very good honeymoon.

When my honeymoon started in May, I was only on 6 units of Lantus...no fast acting for meals(and I would also have lows from that at times). I remember my Endo was very surprised, as he thought my insulin needs would be much more then that. He just told me some people have strong honeymoons, and to enjoy it while it lasts.

Now about 6 months after diagnoses I am on 10u of Lantus(which is still a small amount) and I do take humalog for meals.

8. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

I will agree with all the other responses - Very nice honey moon.

I was diagnosed almost three years ago and I still go through times when I don't need to bolus for meals and then change my basal because my body is totally crazy. In my months of honeymooning I barely took any insulin: went from 24u lantus and humalog at meals to no lantus and just humalog at meals. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently and it's really hard to predict. Just keep your fingers crossed this lasts for a while longer and maybe by the time it's over your son will want a pump. I took a good two years to figure out that a pump was the best idea. My parents parents tried encouraging me, but ultimately left the decision up to me.

9. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

Wow, thanks everyone. It's nice to know there are others with similar experience. It's still going well, low to no boluses, and only 6u Levemir, but his post dinnertime numbers are creeping up a bit. He has lost a couple pounds and we had his thyroid checked, came back normal thankfully. I couldn't bear for him to have something else to deal with. He's so thin, many of the injections are painful. Can't seem to get him to put on any weight--anyone else with that problem?

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex started putting on weight immediately. But some kids are just thin and use up all the calories they take in. If your son isn't real active and still isn't gaining, I'd ask the Dr about it.

11. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My son was diagnosed in March and never had a dramatic honeymoon. The doctors estimated that 90% of his beta cells were gone at diagnosis and we've had to up his Lantus from 20 to 23 units a day, so I'm thinking the last 10% may be petering out. He has regained about 20 of the 25 pounds he lost before diagnosis. Matt's handled the shots well (4-6 per day), but he decided he's ready to pump and we started the paperwork yesterday. I think he's looking forward to being able to have seconds without having to take another shot!