- advertisement -

low carb starbucks drink??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jessicat, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

I've been wondering How to get the lowest carb drink at Starbucks?? I know they have sugar free syrup which has practically no carbs and someone told me about ordering a latte with heavy whipping cream instead of milk. I do try to get the smallest 8 oz size for my son. What do you order for your Diabetic child that is not coffee??
    I know I could make things at home myself, and I know starbucks isn't exactly healthy or cost friendly.... but for those times when I go there anyway, what do you suggest?.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Does a 7 year old really need something from Starbucks? I personally don't go there because it is so expensive and I think it is a rip off. And if I had a 7 year old I wouldn't be getting them a latte (coffee). But if you really want to get him something from there, why worry about the carbs? Just get him what he wants and cover the carbs with insulin.

3. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

If I was wondering about that stuff I would go in and ask. Hopefully you will get someone that knows stuff. I hate going into restuarants and getting a look like I have 3 heads when I ask simple questions. Good luck.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You can look up all the carb counts on their website and probably contrive some combination that would suit. I tend to think their counts are a bit on the low side, but it's a starting point. ;)

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Buy a bottle of water. I can't imagine getting my 7 year old *anything* from there...

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

We just go full carb and cover it. Normally it's just hot chocolate but I don't really worry even if he wants a little coffee mixed in. I can count the number of kids I know who drink full caffeine soda..daily. But the we don't see any weird spike from their sugared items - it's pretty fast moving stuff. The sugar free stuff is still loaded with carbs and it really does give my son some tummy trouble.

And yes, all the carb info is online.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Hey people, she acknowledged it's not a healthy choice and she's looking at NON coffee options. Lighten up, I'm pretty sure she's not doing this on a regular basis.

Here's a listing from their website:

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?drink=all#view_control=nutrition

My daughter (non D) loves their white chocolate mocha lattes, but definitely NOT low carb!

I personally choose to eat low carb and I tend towards their skinny drinks, but those do have caffeine. I like the skinny peppermint latte or I'll just get iced coffee with a shot of sugar free syrup. Both are coffee based though, I have no personal experience with coffeeless options, sorry. For the iced latte it's a shot of coffee, any syrup you choose and blended nonfat milk.

I am not a personal fan of Starbucks, but do indulge on occasion, it's a nice treat at times.

8. steph

steph Approved members

while i do agree that kids don't need anything from starbucks, if it is something that you are doing on occasion as a special treat, then I think getting a cream frappucino or some other tasty treat and giving insulin would be more fun than a low carb option. but you could always just get an iced herbal tea and use artificial sweetener for a carb and caffeine free option.

9. Christopher

I don't see where people are not being "light"?

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yes, but the difference is that your daughter is 14.. not 7.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

True, and I did not give my 7 year old coffee drinks in any form and only do it now very infrequently.

But I don't feel it's my place to judge how others parent. She acknowledged that it was an unhealthy choice and was asking for NON COFFEE drinks. They serve hot choco, something I think most of us feel is fine for a 7 year old. There ARE kid options. She was wanting low carb kid friendly options.

Just seemed like the suggestions to buy water and/or avoid starbucks were kind of judgmental when she was openly saying she knew it wasn't the best or cost effective choice already were unnecessary.

12. Christopher

But you feel it's your place to judge others as being judgmental?

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, that made me laugh. Not sure if that was your point or if you are serious, but I'm out of this discussion, it's veered off track quite enough.

14. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Last week I got Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino (no whipped cream) for my DD (I know, I know - it's coffee and it's not low carb) for dinner :D, her BG was fine after and she loved it!

15. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

To answer your question, the times that we end up at a Starbucks for a treat, we will get a small Vanilla bean drink (which has no coffee) and treat it basically like a milkshake. Or, I will get him one of their cake pops (only about 13 carbs) and a water. They also have Horizon organic chocolate milk!

16. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

We usually do the kids hot chocolate but my daughter and I do the mocha light frappachino! They are yummy and I don't believe there is more caffine than a can of soda. I actually believe I was told there was less.

17. kellykate

kellykate Approved members

Iced green tea (unsweetened)! So refreshing for summer! My 2 year old gets sick of water and we don't do much juice but she loves iced tea?! If I am going to Starbucks, sometimes I'll get her a small one too. 0 carbs so if she doesn't drink it all (which she never has --more for mama!) there are no worries on trying to guesstimate! And a very small amount of caffeine --a good little treat!

18. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I went in and bought an unsweetened iced tea that was good.

19. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

You can also get steamers there (for the cold months - can't think about a steamer without laughing right now as it's 95 degrees out!)... skim milk (or your milk of choice) and a syrup... sugar free, regular, whatever flavor... frothy top and warm flavored milk... delicious!!

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, these are a good option, or we do the passion iced tea either unsweetened or with 1/2 lemonade.

Once in a while treat, because it is an $$$ habit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.