- advertisement -

Low blood sugar of 40 and flu

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bigbluefrog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Last night we struggled to get her bg up over 40, then the flu kicked in and she couldn't even sip a bit of liquid without throwing up.

What works for your child for the stomach flu? I went to the store to get jello sugar free and reg. sugar. Diet soda and regular soda. I was so unprepared for this.

Large ketones and low blood sugar? I am so confused with that one, isn't ketones something that comes with high blood sugar?!

I can't give insulin, because she is 40, I can't give sugary drinks because she is vomiting everything!

We went to the ER. Then her bg was 180??? Rebound? Lack of insulin, or because her pump was suspended.

I just want to say, reading here and seeing so many of you who have been there and done that attitude gave me comfort during our hospital visit.

CWD...thanks for being a valuable resource and a comfort! To all of the people who posted about this miracle drug Zofran.

We are home now. Still fighting this illness but it is more manageable with zofran.

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

Oh wow! That sounds scary!

I know one of the things that has been suggested to me is mini glucagon injections, but from my understanding, it only works if you have reserves in the liver. I'm not sure how well it'd work in this situation. I'm sure someone can give better instructions than what I vaguely recall.:eek:

If I'm that sick, I try and get my hands on real ginger ale and sip it. You might also try frosting between the teeth and cheek.

As far as ketones, those suckers appear during high blood sugars, yes, but also when there hasn't been a proper food source. If she's been vomiting everything, then she probably hasn't really consumed anything, so her body decided to process fat and make ketones for an energy source.

I'm glad the ER was able to help and that Zofran seems to be working. Keep us posted.

3. Bigbluefrog

Thanks Mocha, I will add ginger ale to my list.

Making homemade chicken noodle soup, for when she can tolerate a little more substance.

It was scary, this is her first flu sickness since being diagnosed:(

4. Bigbluefrog

All of my kids have had the flu in the past, but nothing compares to this. My daughter ( age 16 w diabetes) She was throwing up several times in such a short amount of time. fast furious and quanity, never seen anything like it, weakness and low bg, called her endo and started heading to the ER.

Indeed was scary,if she was without D I still would of headed to the ER just from the votile flu symptoms.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Generally speaking, if you are seeing lows and ketones (in the case of a stomach bug and fasting) then you are seeing starvation ketones. Again, generally speaking, starvation ketones clear with carbs and do not require insulin. As for the rise from 40- 180 it's hard to say, perhaps a bit of a rebound or just a sickness climb.

In a different thread you asked about glucagon. Many people use "mini-doses" of glucagon to help with stomach bugs and stuck lows. I know that there's a thread or a stickie on that. Here, http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_20w.htm

You would use the full dose if your child was unconscious (regardless of wellness) as per Endo instructions.

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We had this issue a few months ago. He couldn't keep anything down, normal to low bg and ketones just kept getting higher. Endo said to go to hospital, because the ketones won't clear without fluids and he couldn't keep fluids down. We added a migraine into the mix too, which just added to the fun. :(

I'm glad you're home now, and I hope she feels much better soon.

7. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

I have not tried this yet but my endo once suggested squeezing cake jell/icing as a suppository. I was going to do the mini glucagon if things did not change around before doing the cake jell but luckily I was able to get some carbs into her. I'm just putting this out there as a suggestion from endo.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yeah, I'd skip that :rolleyes:

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I understand that this would work, but I would head to the ER before trying to do this with my child and request IV glucose.

I mean really you would have to verify that the compartment was clear and that the gel is placed against wall to be absorbed. UMM not the most pleasant ways to be dealing with a sick kid.

10. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

This is pretty much how I felt. I find my doctor gives weird advice like this. He does not allow Zofran, he does not allow his patients to be corrected at night and then the advice about the cake jell.

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

cake gel in the mouth between the gums and cheeks will be absorb through the mouth.. even glucose tabs, if they can be kept in the mouth without causing vomitting, they can be absorb through the gums/cheeks..

12. Bigbluefrog

Thanks for the link! I did ask the Endo about mini glucagon for treatment, and was given more info on it. This mini glucagon info is not given on our sick cheat sheet of info.

I would of preferred of staying home and dealing with it if the glucagon would of worked. Although I wouldn't of received the Zofran anti nausea medication without a script and it was late at night. We headed out around 1am.
    Somehow giving glucagon for a low bg and vomiting doesn't make sense. Since vomitting is a side effect of glucagon.

If this happens again, I think I will ask for a script for Zofran and possibly try a mini glucagon.

Going to the ER is not ideal, it's a long process and there is no place like home for comfort.

13. Bigbluefrog

Good to know!

14. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

The mini glucagon doesn't usually cause vomiting, for whatever reason. We used it the other night after an episode of vomiting with insulin on board, and it worked like a charm.

15. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I am coming a little late into this discussion but I wanted to say (for next time maybe) that when my dd was pumping the endo told us not to go below 30% on the basal even though she was throwing up. I think I actually did 10% for a while and then went back up to 30%. They do still need soem insulin; I woudl not suspend the pump altogether. Also we have found that after a stomach bug my dd will seem okay bg-wise for a day or two and then lows will hit big time as her body is still really recovering. So I keep basals low (like 50%) for a while after a stomach bug.

16. Bigbluefrog

I wonder if the body would absorb sugar on the skin, just like many other medicines are administered with skin patches. Just a thought, it would probably take to long to absorb.

Glad my dd is feeling better too.

Now we have added to our sick cheat sheet, a few more options.

17. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

My son had the stomach bug last week, and even thought the vomiting subsided after 5 hours or so, his is still recovering a week later (loss of appetite and no boluses needed). Our endo suggested lollypops andI think that helped, he did not want ice pops and he vomited up even tiny amounts of liquids. The small amount of carbs from the lollies seemed to help keep the ketones to trace and helped keep him over 70. What a whirlwind though, I was dreading the first stomach bug and now see how things can get dangerous quickly.

18. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son just went through this and had low blood sugar, plus ketones. The ketones were starvation ketones, not from lack of insulin. I found freezies worked wonders. He loves freezies and these were able to keep his blood sugars from falling too low. I did give him a shot of basal, but at a reduced dose.

19. shannong

I read in Dr. Ragnar Hanas's book, Type 1 Diabetes, that it is a myth that glucose can be absorbed by the mouth or anal cavity. He references a study in his book that says that for glucose to be absorbed, it must be absorbed by the intestines - in other words digested in the stomach.

20. shannong

Great idea! I wish I hadn't thrown out all the lolly pops in his halloween candy.