- advertisement -

Low BG with High Ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Leece, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Leece

Leece Approved members

Hey, Need some help...A is sick with the flu and has low BG with fairly high ketones 3+ fairly consistantly. We were at Hospital and they put her on a Saline drip for hydration but the ketones never went below 3 and her BG was 10.0 at the highest. Does not want to eat or drink anything. Anybody have experience with this? I did ask the Dr about putting her on a Saline and Glucose drip thinking that would help but they couldn't figure it out and released us saying if it got worse to come back. She also did not really keep anything down the day before. So no fluid or carbs staying down or in. So if you do experience this what treatment do you get that is effective in lowering the Ketones and maintaining a in range BG?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

No matter what you do, the ketones will not break until she gets actual food into her and stop using her own body as a fuel source.

Two suggestions, get Zofran to easy the nausia from the sickness and or ketones. get her to eat but wait till BG gets up to bolus with insulin. I say this because she may eat but may not absorb cards if it is a stomache bug.

Go back to the hospital/Dr. and get the saline with glucose that WILL raise bg quickly and bolus away. The IV is directly to the blood bypassing any stomache absorption issues.

We have been there a few times and have dealt with it both ways, dependant on her ability to ingest food and drink and keep it down.

I hope this helps a little.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The previous poster is right, the only way to get rid of ketones is to take insulin. Because she won't eat, she needs glucose in the IV and then insulin to match the glucose.

I am surprised the hospital gave up that easy -- this is not a foreign concept -- insulin gets rid of ketones.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how is it going?

5. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Where is her endo in this equation?

I was wondering why the hospital didn't consult with her endo? I agree she needs insulin to lower ketones and food or juice.

I hope she feels better soon. It is scary when they are sick, I would consult with her D dr.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I can't believe the hospital released her with high ketones like that. She should have put on an IV with glucose like you suggested. Those ketones won't go away without insulin, because she's low she needs glucose before you give insulin. Also, dehydration will encourage those ketones to get worse. If she take little sips of sugar drinks give them to her.. we keep power gatorade for this reason, so we can make it stronger. If you don't get her to drink anythign with glucose and get those ketones to come down I'd take her back to the ER.