- advertisement -

Lose/Lose?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Meredithsmom, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

My non-d, non-celiac daughter is turning 9 in 2 weeks. She has decided that she hates anything that is gf and has voiced her opinion to everyone in ear shot. She told me she will refuse to eat a birthday cake that is gf and she wants one from the bakery. We do not have any gf bakeries in our small town. So, do I get her a cake from the bakery and make a gf one for Meredith to have at her sister's party, or in an attempt to be all inclusive and try not to make Meredith feel more different than she already does, do I make the gf cake and tell the birthday diva if she wants cake, she'll eat it?? I feel like either way is unfair to one of my girls. Either way, someone will be disappointed. As an aside, Meredith LOVES the bakery cake that her sister wants. Just now, she can't have it.

2. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Is there a way to talk to the birthday girl and explain that GF cakes taste great AND she'd be able to accomodate her sister's needs?

If not, then I think I'd tell her she'll get the bakery cake (with all it's additives and junk) and her sister will get a GF cake that will look/taste so delicious, the other kids will want some too.

Seriously, chocolate GF cake is fantastic. My husband actually prefers it!

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I buy gf brownie mix 'cause I like it better.

Can you avoid cakes altogether and go with ice cream?

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

How about a big gooey monster cupcake for the birthday girl and gf cupcakes for the rest??

5. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I totally understand this. My middle DD has expressed on more than one occasion that she would prefer not to have GF cake or desserts. I figure if it's for her, then I'll get what she wants and have something for T that is similar. Since T is the only person needing to be GF, I figure it's a good compromise. Now, for T's celebration, we usually all go GF....and that works, too. It's hard to balance sometimes....

Maybe make 2 cakes--one GF, the other regular. That way no store bought cakes for either.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Cupcakes.

Make some of them GF... then no one is left out having something "different" than anyone else :)

I did these a few years ago... it would be easy to tell them apart if you just did the icing in different colors or styles.

[​IMG]

I am personally a huge fan of cupcakes because the carb counts are pretty consistent - and I am so not breaking out the scale in the middle of a party to weigh my cake :)

I think the kids have had cupcakes at every birthday since my daughter was 2... and no one complains that "it's not cake" :)