- advertisement -

looking into omnipod.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tiannas mom, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Tiannas mom

Tiannas mom New Member

My 6 year old daughter has been using the minimed paradigm for almost 4 years and we are looking into the omnipod but still have some questions about it. does anyony use it have any pros or cons that might help us?

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We started pumping with the Omnipod in July. For us, the pros outweighed the cons.

Our major pros were:

Automated and quick insertion of canula
    No tubes
    User-friendly interface

Our major cons were:

Larger minimum dose (0.05u)
    Minimum fill requirement of 85u results in wasted insulin for us
    Issues with some boxes of pods; when they have not worked from the start Insulet has replaced them
    Pods are expensive (but upfront costs are lower)

3. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

If you are worried about the wasted insulin, and the min dose at 0.05u; consider using saline to mix with the insulin before placing in the pump. It is sold specifically for mixing down insulin. talk to your endo about it.

4. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

My dd's been on the omni pod since march and we love it!! The main pro I would say is no tubing to mess with!! The automatic insertion is quick and usually pretty painless. We used to use emla, but one day she said she wanted to try it without it. She did, and we haven't used it since. I think the sound it makes when it's inserted is the worst part. Some cons would be the size, especially for little ones, but ash lee is 5 and its not a big deal (they are supposed to be decreasing the size of them by "40 percent" but who knows). We've had some pods get knocked off, but there's ways to avoid that. Just like the previous post, I think the pros out weight the cons! We really do love it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We've been told we should not use diluted insulin in a pump, though I think others here have done it. Do you have experience with using diluted insulin in a pump?

6. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

I've talked with our local Omnipod rep several times at local things I see him at. He said that while a down side to the pods are wasted insulin, that you have to remember that you waste insulin with a tubed pump, too. You're wasting at least 10 units just from what's in the tubing. He told me if we got up to using 50 units in a 3 day period that he would recomend it for us.

7. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

We just switched from the MM722 to the Pod..im not totally thrilled ...yet...Deanna loves the no tubing, and that was our main reason to switch...but...we have has several pods alarm for different reasons since we started...so we have gone through a box of pods in less than two weeks..(keep in mind that Deanna uses more than 200 units in 3 days so we change pods every two days) but we have had pod failures, and occulations..which has resulted in pod changes almost every day..Ohh and you can get the insulin out of a pod..we have done it several times...you just take it out the same way you put it in..:D.overall I am very happy with her numbers..her blood sugars have not been this good in a very long time..I think it's because the insulin is going directly in from the pod..I don't know but her numbers were not this good on the MM...she is wither normal range an average of 89% of the time:eek:

8. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

We love my 7yr olds pod!

It will eventually be smaller but my dd is a soccer player and a black belt
    and the tubeless pod was the way to go for us!

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

We love our Omnipod! Ds has used it for almost two years. It was life-changing for us. We used the Omnipod before, and loved it, but being tubeless is wonderful. We spend almost every weekend at the lake or in the pool, and its wonderful to just wrap the pod and go...no disconnecting, no tape issues, no reconnecting so ds can snack...just fun. We also used to have to use emla, but ds says he barely feels the pod insertion, so no more waiting for the cream to take effect.

Cons...well, I guess the fact that some pods fail, but we lost sites on our other pump, too.

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We are going with the OmniPod for my 9 year old daughter. i have to attend one more pump class in Oct.
    I spoke with the rep the other night and he said that around January, they will start shipping out the smaller pods - they will be 40% smaller! that's huge! He said it will be a soft launch -meaning it won't be advertised. It will just go out on your next shipment - you don't have to call and ask for it.

I've heard such great things about the OmniPod and we can't wait to get it. My daughter hopes to have it by Halloween :D

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Another pro I dont think anyone else mentioned is that it is waterproof. A con is sometimes it doesnt stay on, but that can be dealt with by taping it, or wearing a cut off sock cuff over it when it is on the arm etc. I also really like the PDM which is a remote control. My granddaughter is 8 and on the petite side but the size of the pod has not been an issue for us.

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I think the sound it makes when it's inserted is the worst part.

That is one of the main reasons Ashleigh says she doesn't want to use the pod. We watched a youtube video of someone inserting the pod and couldn't believe how loud it sounded.

13. Traci

Traci Approved members

That's funny--we don't even notice the sound. I guess ds is just so happy to not have the drawn out insertion process that we used to go through with a traditional infusion set. It's really not that loud in person.

14. mom24grlz

Well DH for some reason doesn't want her to get the pod to begin with. I'm really not sure why. We called our insurance and they said they'd cover any pump, but DH thinks that since it uses freestyle strips that they won't cover it. Our insurance won't cover any freestyle strips/meters/lancets.

Also he wants to know what if for some reason we go some place and forget the PDM. Then what are we supposed to do? At least with the other pumps you can program directly at the pump if you forget a PDM. Which i guess is a good question, because i can just see us forgetting the PDM.

That's funny--we don't even notice the sound. I guess ds is just so happy to not have the drawn out insertion process that we used to go through with a traditional infusion set. It's really not that loud in person

Maybe the video camera the person used echoed the sound?? How long does a regular insertion process take place?

BTW Ashleigh and I are wanting to pump more and more each day. She's getting more irritable about giving injections (especially her lantus). Lately she's been getting sleepy at 7/8pm. Which means I have to wake her at 9pm to take her lantus. Not fun getting a sleepy child to take an injection.

15. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

The sound at insertion is not that bad - it's like a loud click. I don't know how you can insert a cannula without it making a noise!

We have never forgotten the PDM - I usually keep it with me if we go anywhere, or she takes it in her purse. It's just one more device along with her meter, strips and lancet, which we always have to take anyway. Even if you do forget it, unless you need to bolus, the basal continues to work.

You don't need to use the integrated meter - we use our Accu Check Aviva. I prefer the Aviva and only used the Freestyle strips for the first month of using the Omnipod.

I think it has improved her numbers and she is glad she doesn't have to take so many shots anymore. We love the Omnipod!

16. ashleesmommy

HTML:
    Well DH for some reason doesn't want her to get the pod to begin with. I'm really not sure why. We called our insurance and they said they'd cover any pump, but DH thinks that since it uses freestyle strips that they won't cover it. Our insurance won't cover any freestyle strips/meters/lancets.

Also he wants to know what if for some reason we go some place and forget the PDM. Then what are we supposed to do? At least with the other pumps you can program directly at the pump if you forget a PDM. Which i guess is a good question, because i can just see us forgetting the PDM.
    Well, ya do what you would do if you forgot anything else like meter, tabs, glucagon, etc...go back and get it :D you just get used to it being a part of everything else you carry! I've never forgotten to bring it with me, and believe me I can't remember yesterday! Like the pp said, if you don't need to bolus, then you don't really need it.

In my opinion, the sound is intimidating at first, but you really get used to it! I think like any insertion, there may may be a little anxiexy. It's so quick! Ashlee just does her "strong hand" (makes a fist with her other hand) and it's done, no big deal!

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My insurance doesn't cover Freestyle either, but we were able to get an override. It does cost more.

We forget the PDM on occasion. Usually, I'm either almost to the car, or just started driving when I remember. We just turn around and get it. If you use it as the meter, you have to go back anyway, right?

18. mom24grlz

OT-Lori how did you make my quote look like that?

19. Traci

Traci Approved members

I've never forgotten the pdm... I have, however, thrown it in my purse when leaving the school (while ds was still at school and needed it there!) ;). It has become an ingrained habit to grab it become we go anywhere.

20. ashleesmommy

Chris, I have no idea why it looks like that! :confused: oohhhh...as I'm looking up at the different options, I used the wrong one!! I used the <> instead of the quotes, oops!! See, I can't even remember how to use quotes!! :eek: