- advertisement -

Looking for resources

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by HiThere, May 14, 2008.

1. HiThere

HiThere Approved members

Brandon's bloodwork came back with a 75 (is that really high?) and they are doing the endoscopy on June 24. He doesn't have symptoms really.

In the meantime, I'm looking for some reliable lists of common foods (like which brand of chips or whatever) to start making some plans. Anyone have good links or recommended books?

Another question, he loves the "goldfish" type crackers, but I'm not finding anything like this gluten free-any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!! :)

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI, I don't have to many suggestions for you, since I'm at about the same spot as you are. Kaylee's blood work came back high, and she has the antibodies, they are doing the endoscopy on may 28th.. I've started looking around at stuff and found this website http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php It has a great list that is easy to 'get' with its color coded system.. I went and looked at a few things today.. its very overwhelming at first.. I really like that site I just posted, everything is in fairly 'simple' terms for those that are just starting out, they explain it without a bunch of medical words LOL..

what test did they run for your son? I hope the test was wrong and you don't have to go gluten-free..

3. HiThere

HiThere Approved members

Thanks kaylee's mom-I'm not sure what the test was exactly. When I asked the nurse practitioner about it yesterday, she just gave me that number. Thanks for the link - that looks like a good site! Good luck on the 28th - keep us posted!

Momtojess, thanks for the book info. My son loves McD's nuggets and he will miss them so much if he's positive Celiac. And I hope I can find some crackers Brandon likes, because he eats so many of them. He's also autistic, so he's so particular about food and there's already so few things he can eat. This will be hard on him. I haven't broke it to him yet because he panics and breaks down and cries over things like this, losing his favorite foods. I have to start explaining it to him soon, and I'm not looking forward to that. :(

4. josmom

josmom Approved members

I beleive they do make a gluten free chicken nuggets. Also, you could get GF coating mixes. I tried the latter, unfortunately it was a little too spicy for my daughter. As mentioned there are more alternatives that are GF then you might realize. I went to a health food store and forked over a lot of money getting cereals, flours and other staples. Turns out I could get commercial cereals like Rice Chex, Lucky Charms (General Mills did confirm that they were okay, but to check every box in case their formula changes), Fruity Pebbles and Kix. I realize that they may not say Gluten Free on the box but according to their ingredients they were okay at least in my neck of the woods. Crackers are difficult buy Lay's Potato Chips, corn tortilla chips and Fritos are okay. Also, check out your commercial rices and instant potatoes. I was suprized to see many were GF. Gravies and sauces are difficult to find commercially but you can get chicken broth and make your own with corn starch or gf flour. Rice cakes make a good crunch and can act a substitute for pizza crust or bread. Corn tortillas will also replace bread. The largest obstacle I have found with labeled GF food is my daughter doesn't like the texture or aftertaste. I can't blame her. We have a standard policy, you have to be willing to try it. I won't lie and see it's easy, but it's easier than my imagination thought it would be. I know this is probably not a testimonial for the finding the best choices from a nutritional stand point, but I am trying to balance out all the food choices so a few what I call junk food choices are okay with me. A child (in my case a 10 yr old) can only handle so much upheaval before everything turns to chaos. So a little sweet and salty is a fair compromise.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I went to Trader Joes yesterday, I had never been there before, but my parents really like it.. I found gluten free 'chips' that are a cross between a chip and a cracker, they're made out of rice, and the flavor is sour cream and onion, Kaylee likes the 'spiceys' on it LOL.. I tasted them (I vowed I'd taste everything she has to eat and if it was nasty, she wouldn't have to eat it..) and they are actually really good.. the other thing I found that she likes are gluten free ginger snaps, they do have quite the kick to them, but they're pretty good.. I found some trail mix that looks great, but the girls say its to sweet.. I can't try it because it has nuts.. good thing the girl isn't allergic to nuts!

6. HiThere

HiThere Approved members

Thank you so much for the information and tips!!

7. Theresa

Theresa Approved members

I have found another good resource is http://www.glutenfreenetwork.com/index.php

I am a Glutenfree/Dairyfree mom :eek:
    You can find some gluten free recipes in my recipe blog (link is in my signature)
    I will be adding a Gluten Free chicken nugget recipe and some other fun child friendly recipes within the next week. (had to perfect them first-LOL)

8. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

We are in the same boat. My dd got so upset whe I told her she couldn't have the Goldfish during Sunday School (we took a GF snack for all). I haven't tried it yet, but I did find a GF Goldfish recipe. It's at

http://inthelifeofachild.com/index.php/gluten-free/

There is also a mix by Miss Roben.
    I'm waiting on my "Goldfish" cookie cutter to give them a try.

9. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

My daughter was dx with celiac in Jan. Her TTG levels were over 120 and our last test a few weeks ago, they were at 14 which is still very positive. The celiac for me has been harder to deal with than the diabetes. The only reason I say that is because with the diabetes she could still eat almost anything. I just had to cover it with insulin. Now, I have to check everything and school is the hardest with class parties and everything. Walmart has been a life saver because their brand states gluten free. I am still learning all the ingrediants. Most lays potato chips are gluten free but there is still a chance of cross contamination. I have called Nestle and their chocolate syrup only is gluten free. I bought a book that has been extremely helpful called "Gluten Free for Dummies" by Dana Korn. Publix and Krogers have gluten free lists on their website that you can print out. Most of all the cookies and brownies that we have tried have been good. We had to experiment around with the different breads b/c the white rice breads would send her sugar through the roof. We now use bread made with tapioca flour. Sorry to ramble.:eek:
    Angie

10. HiThere

HiThere Approved members

Thank you everyone for your replies and wonderful tips!

Brandon had his endoscopy today. There was nothing visually evident - I don't know if that matters. They said I'd hear in 3 to 5 days.

11. aklap

aklap Approved members

While extensive damage can be visible to the naked eye...samples are cross-sectioned, stained and mounted so they can be viewed under a microscope.

Just say No to Gluten

This is your villi...
    [​IMG]

This is your villi on gluten...
    [​IMG]

Any questions?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008