- advertisement -

Looking for recipes for allergic kids

Discussion in 'Recipe Exchange' started by janadams, Aug 11, 2011.

1. janadams

janadams New Member

My kids are allergic to soy,eggs, milk,corn,oats,peanuts. I am looking for any help with recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
    Thank you.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

3. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

How sensitive is your kiddo? How new are you to these allergies.

I am soy and milk(cow's) allergic and my son is peanut and corn allergic so we've almost got you covered! I've got MANY more allergies though and we both eat gluten-free. Gluten is the only thing that we go to a cross-contamination level on.

Kozy Shack makes puddings that are cornstarch-free, they use tapioca starch. I find them at Walmart Supercenter. Chocolate and vanilla and rice and tapioca.

There is a powdered sugar that I buy at the healthfood store and Whole Foods that is made with tapioca starch instead of corn-starch. The brand is Wholesome Sweeteners.

The baking powder I use is Hain, it's cornstarch-free.

I've found soy-free tuna.

Oh, Earthbalance Spread (think butter) is soy and dairy-free. The red tub.

Hmm, that's what comes to mind at the moment but I'm sure I can come up with much more. Give me some feedback when you have a chance and we can keep an ongoing dialog about it. These 4 allergens are permanent avoids for us.

4. szofa12yrold

I just noticed too that you listed eggs. I don't test allergic but am generally intolerant and generally avoid them. I do use some in baked goods but I have experimented with egg replacers. If you do a search on the internet for vegan baked goods, vegan cake etc. you will find eggless baking ideas. I may have to do a separate post on eggless products. There are some gluten-free products that are eggless and might be dairy-free as well.

Flax seed meal can be used as an egg replacer. Google it.

EnerG is a company that makes a powdered egg replacer that is corn-free as far as I can see. You may want to look at EnerG's other products. You might find other corn, egg and milk-free things.

Namaste is another company that makes many allergen-free products as is Enjoy-life. Enjoy-life makes a dairy-free chocolate bar. There are a couple of dairy and soy-free chocolate bars but I always ate the dark because of the lower sugar content so I am not sure about the more palateable milk choc. The Enjoy-life is palateable to kids. They make choc. chips too that are dairy and I think soy-free too. Soy was not on my radar when I was eating them.

5. szofa12yrold

Sorry for the pudding recommendations. I just realized that your kiddo can't do them with the dairy. Your kiddo's a combo of my son and I and we often eat separate food ;)

BTW, for a soy sauce substitute I use Coconut Secret brand coconut aminos. Haven't tried it in recipes per se. I just use it as a condiment after the fact or in stir-fry type dishes at the end of the cooking time. It tastes more like a teriyaki sauce. It's got a natural sweetness to it.

6. szofa12yrold

For a milk substitute, I liked the So Delicious brand coconut milk beverage. It does not have a strong coconut flavor. It is more neutral and would make a good substitute in recipes. The same company also makes coconut milk icecreams under the brand name Purely Decadent.

What kinds of recipes are you hoping to replicate? What foods are you missing?

Generally with any new dietary restrictions we focus on what we CAN have that's already free of our allergens. Keep it fresh and simple and put pressure on yourself to replicate all that stuff that the factories put out, unless you love the challenge. Again. I'm not sure how new you are to this ;)

For snacks, lots of fruit, gelatin, some plain potato chips etc.

For dinner, meat, veg. and potatoes and rice etc.

For breakfast, hash browns, meats, fruit, corn-free cereals. We've had to get creative with breakfast and think outside the box due to our restrictions. My Ds has come to like a baked(microwave) sweet potato and sausage patty breakfast. I've served chicken soups too, in the winter.