- advertisement -

Looking for Parents of pumpers in the South Jersey Area

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by camack7827, Nov 2, 2011.

1. camack7827

camack7827 Approved members

Long story short, my wife and I are going away for the first time ever for 2 days leaving our kids behind. I'd like to know if there are any parents in the South Jersey area (Northern Burlington County) that would be willing to be an "emergency backup" if need be.

I don't forsee needing any help, but I'm looking for another layer of help/insurance as we are very nervous about leaving the care of our kids (particularly the Diabetes aspect) with other people. The family that will be taking care of our kids have been involved with T1D care of our son for a little over a year.

We have "built up" to this point with the following:
    • General T1D care (BG Checks, counting carbs, dosing via the pump) over the last year
    • While vacationing with this family earlier this year, they took care of all aspects with us looking over their shoulder for full days at a time
    • We had a "dry run" sleep over with my wife and I staying in their in-law suite though sleeping through the night while our friends took care of BG checks and corrections on their own.
    • We had another "dry run" as a one night sleep over with my wife and I staying in our own home 5 minutes away.

While my son should not need a site change while we are away, we have gone over site changes with our friends, they performed a site change with our supervision, and we will be posting a YouTube video of a site change for reference in an emergency. That said, I'd feel better knowing that there is an experienced set of hands somewhat local if we really got into a bind. The "on call" weekend is November 11th through the 13th.

By the way, Landon uses an Animas Ping with Contact Detatch infusion sets.

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

What a great idea! I'm in Northern NJ, but I thinks that's such a good idea to have somebody near by just in case, at least to call. I'd hate for somebody to be in need right in my area and not know how to reach me. And the video is so awesome. I should post one for dh in case I ever die.:p

If you don't get any takers here closer to your home, maybe contact the school and see if they will give your number out to other D parents and they can give you a call.

3. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Sounds to me like they have more experience than most of us do when we take our kids home from dx. ;)
    Your endo can be the emergency back up just as they are now.
    What wonderful friends you have, you're very fortunate. :cwds: