- advertisement -

Looking for a new digital camera

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mom2Deacon, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I am seriously considering downgrading my digital camera. I have a Canon 400D SLR with several lenses. I have been tired of carrying around my heavy bag, swapping out lenses and so forth for a long time now. What stops me from buying a new camera is that with an SLR I can get great action shots. Have advanced digital camera shutter speeds caught up with the SLRs yet? Do any of you have digital cameras that can get pretty good or great action shots? Which camera is it? Thanx guys.

--Sara

2. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'd kill to have your camara 0-0
    Any camara you buy with 8.0 + MP can produce pretty good pictures.The Kodak easy share has one out with 7.0 MP that I have been using.

3. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

I use a HP SmartPhoto (or is it PhotoSmart?) 750 that is 8.0 megs. Got it through HSN and I love it for fabulous pics but I haven't really used it for action shots. It does go up to about an 800 ISO so I think you can freeze some action. shutter speed seems pretty good. Not a huge lag affect.

Here is a link to my flickr account, you can see some of the work I have done with it. the other camera I have is a FujiFinePix S5000 which I love for action and wonderful portrait shots as well as landscapes but like you I hate to lug it around for just tourist and kids sports stuff!

Good luck! Most hand held point and shoots can't compare yet with the power of the true digital SLR's. I am currently putting money together to get a Canon...hoping by the holidays i can at least get the body and one lense. :) Been looking at used ones on eBay but they are snatched up pretty quickly.

Maria

www.flickr.com/photos/mischloss

4. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Yeah, I'd kill to have your camera!!! :) I have the Fujifilm S700 camera, that I bought last year and it takes great action shots and has awesome zoom for macros. You can manually set the shutter, aperature and ISO, or you can use preprogrammed settings (one that includes sport action).

But the new s2000hd that they came out with to replace it has an even better zoom, has face recognition and can take HD videos! I have a coupon for 50 dollars off. If I could sell my old camera for like 150 bucks, with the rebate, I could "upgrade" it for a little over 100 bucks while I wait a couple years to get my Canon DSLR.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Care to have an auction for your camera? :)...I'll bid too.

I've been looking at the Nikon D80 (absolutely can't afford the D90)

We have a digital Panasonic Lumix with Leica Lens that has taken nice photos and is easy to carry around - not SLR.

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Heck I'd settle for 35 MM camara :)

7. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Kylee borrowed my dads Sony Cybershot for camp and got good pictures with it. Nothing blurry, its small and easy to use.

Ive got a Sony alpha 10.2 megapixel DSLR with so many lenses and filters and crap that I have a big backpack to carry it all around in, so I know where you are coming from. I love it, but it is bulky. What Id really want is the new 24.6 megapixel one. But as my husband says, why do you NEED 24.6 megapixels(hey, who said anything about need). That and the fact that its like $3000 means I wont be getting one any time soon.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I have a cannon powershot A9something.. LOL.. I really like it, its 5mp.. it works well, we've had it for two years.. I'd like to get something that is a little smaller though. something that is a little sleek that I could easily fit into a pocket.. I hate shleping a camera around..

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have Canon Digital Rebel but got tired of carrying the backpack of lens/camera around. I does take great action shots. I bought a small Canon but it is slow and can't action shots like in sports.

10. Mom2Deacon

I am considering finding one of the advanced but non-DSLR cameras. Like the Canon SX10 IS, Fuji S2000HD, Nikon P80, etc..

I love my camera. It takes great pictures. It can catch all of the soccer and t-ball action but I have to lug it all around. I take portraits of the kids to give for Christmas so I am really wanting to purchase a new camera before early November. I am going to the stores in mid-October to test them out while a child is doing their best action movements to see which one shows the least lag.

--Sara

11. Mom2Deacon

Exactly with the NEEDING megapixels. I wanted my current camera because it has 10. Did I really need 10 though? Probably not. Canon now has a DSLR that has 15. Drool.

--Sara

12. Mom2Deacon

I have never had a fuji camera but I am seriously considering the s2000hd myself. I understand that Fuji has done some great things with their cameras for low light conditions.

--Sara

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Hand held digital cameras are not competetive with DSLRs with regard to shutter speed and high ISO performance. If you are taking a lot of action shots, my recommendation is to stay with the Canon 40D -- even though it is heavy.

As an alternative, you might want to look at the newest entry level Canon DSLR body, since you alreay have Canon lenses. The new Rebel bodies are excellent and weigh less than the 40D.

I'd also worry less about megapixel size than other features such as shutter speed and high ISO performance. Essentially all of the new cameras have a large enough sensor (in terms of megapixels, not in terms of physical size) to produce excellent prints.

14. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

Nikon D60 love it

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I have a cannon powershot s2 - the newest one is a powershot s5. I love this camera. It takes great action shots - has a fairly large zoom, image stablizer, ISO 1600. It is larger than a little pocket camera that I sometimes wish I had but it takes awesome pictures and doesn't cost what the others do with the price of extra lenses. You can also have variable shutter speeds, iso, etc. I love canon's!

16. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

My Uncle is a Photographer he told me to always buy a camera that has a good solid backround in cameras like kodak, canon, Nikon . Nikon are somewhat pricey I found mine on line for 439.00 and it is the complete Kit. very lite , Takes awsome pics, Crystal clear. action shots snap snap snap one behind the other and you can add extras Mine is D60 I will never want another camera , I take alot of pictures . will take 500 on a full battery, great close up photos, excellent color does darn near everything D90 but less money. easy to use also . You don't have to be a pro . can get very detailed with different settings and can enhance them on camera after picture is taken . awsome , Thats just my opinion. I love , love , love Mine oh yeah and awsome awsome black and whites