- advertisement -

Local breaking news

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Traci, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Last night our local station kept doing teasers about big breaking news regarding type 1 diabetes. Of course, I figured it was nothing because I knew I would have heard it here first, but I had to watch the 10pm newscast to see what all the fuss was about. Lots more teasers, lots more dragging it out, showing people with meters, etc...

Finally! They announce...wait for it....wait for it...

Researchers at a local hospital are working with mice to develop a cure for type 1!

Can you believe it?! That was the entire story. No details. No info. Nothing. Who would have thought that researchers were working to find a cure?:rolleyes:

And to add insult to injury, the stock rolling pictures were of a pharmacist counting out Avandia pills.

Just had to share.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

LOL! I'd be annoyed too.

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Lucky lucky mice!:D

4. Traci

Traci Approved members

Nope. Even the mice mommies would be shaking their heads at this report. These researchers are just *working* on a cure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that scientists are searching for a cure, but this station presented it as BIG news for type 1's and their families. Dh and I sat there looking at each other going, "what was the story?!" Like no one else has ever researched type 1.:confused:

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

of course it's always cured in mice, but our kids are not mice! I had an old neighbor who was putting me down for continuing to give him shots because "there is a cure for that ya know" I asked what and she said "they cured it in mice". I asked "Does he look like a mouse?".

6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

That is so funny! Luckily I haven't had anyone say anything quite so ignorant to me, but if I did, I'm not sure I would be so nice!

As for the original post...Gotta hand it to those local newscasters!!!!! My DH works at a job where he is privy to more info than most people, so when he comes home and tells me the "real" story, I have to laugh at how often the local news station gets it oh-so-wrong. And I HATE teasers when it turns out to be something really dumb.