advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lipoatrophy in 3 year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Katie Oates, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Katie Oates

Katie Oates New Member

Hi all. This is my first post as I am desperately seeking information on or people who have experienced lipoatrophy. My 3 year old daughter has this on her buttocks and above. We have used the buttocks for pump cannula for 2 years but always rotated around both buttocks and haven't really ever used the area above so it is a bit of a mystery. We have been prescribed humalog insulin to try (currently on novorapid). Has anyone successfully treated this in children or have any idea why it could have happened? Our team have not seen this in a young child before so are baffled too. I am praying it will clear up and there is not some underlying genetic cause. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

2. ChrisDadT1

ChrisDadT1 Approved members

Over a week and no reply.... so sorry to hear about your troubles. Is the Humalog making a difference? Have you thought about moving the site to her belly? According to the web, it looks like lipoatrophy IS caused by the insulin pump therapy. I doubt there is an underlying genetic cause. In fact, infants using a pump are prone to this condition. According to an article published on the ADA website:

Here is a link to the full article: http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/14/2/81

I know the pump is a great tool for giving micro doses and controlling both boluses and basals. But due to your situation, here are my recommendations:
    (1) You may want to go back to MDI (multiple daily injection) - such as Humulog (fast acting) and Lantus (24 hour basal) for awhile until such a time that your daughter heals and accumulates more fatty tissue for the cannulas.
    (2) If you must stay with the pump, try a different cannula set. Maybe one that has a 45 degree angle so it is more likely to deliver the insulin to fatty tissue. Also, you might want to seek out sites with more fatty tissue.
    (3) If staying with the pump, you might want to follow the advice of the ADA and change the infusion set at least every 2 days.

Good luck and please keep us updated!