- advertisement -

lifegaurding

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by fredntan2, Jun 20, 2013.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

She got job as lifegaurd.

Starts next week. How do pumpers deal with this?

If she wears her pump and has to jump in ti save someone. Does she stop and disconnect.
    Maybe she would just stay unconnected and manually give her bolus
    Hourly

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Looking into Omnipod's Cut-The-Cord would be the most convenient method for her. She wouldn't have to worry about either problem.

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I would honestly consider MDI for the summer. I take a pump break for every beach vacation. I would at least consider going untethered.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How does your dd want to deal with it? She is very close to 18 and I tink this is her choice, but of course you can "discuss" alternate choices, and why they migh be better.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I would say either untethered with lantus for the summer, switch to omnipod, or go fully MDI. Any of those would work. I think the last thing you'd want is just unhook all day.

also, just noticing your sig - the Dexcom G4 is amazingly painless. She might find a lot of benefit having a CGM this summer while working especially if she's switching up her normal routine of care.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Agreed. The G4 has been a game changer for us.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I agree that the Dexcom is not in the same ballpark as the MM CGM when it comes to insertion and just the "fear factor" of the look of the thing. I over 4 years of Dexcoming we have had maybe 2 sensors that really hurt during insertion.

With the dexcom you do not see the inserion needle really unless you are looiking for it, prior to insertion.

8. dianas

dianas Approved members

While I totally agree that the Dexcom Gen 4 awesome the receiver is even less waterproof than most pumps out there. You would have to secure the receiver in a waterproof case.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

I also vote for untethered - Coco loves it, I hate it.