- advertisement -

Life with diabetes

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Pener3621, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Pener3621

Pener3621 Approved members

I don't know about everyone but onething I hate there is talking a bunch of meds to live my life. People don't understand it and Sometimes they just say that they do in order to shut you up.
    Please email me. i can use some friends like me.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You are right in that few people really understand, because they don't live day-in and day-out with taking insulin to survive. You can bet that they really want to understand, but fall short when they haven't experienced it.

There are lots of other folks with diabetes. Some will respond on this forum. You can also check out the mailing lists on this page:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/people/mailinglists.htm

There is one for kids and another for teens. Folks can e-mail you directly.

Try to go to a diabetes day camp or overnight camp if there is one in your area. That is a great way to meet other folks with diabetes.

3. Still_A_BeautifulPrincess

Still_A_BeautifulPrincess New Member

I understand

Hello,
    I was just diagnosed with having diabetes today and i talked to a couple of ppl about it and they totally dont understand so i know how u feel. Being diagnosed was the worst Christmas present ever but if you need someone to talk to me you can respond back.

Samantha
    :( :( :( :(

4. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

Hey, I've had diabetes for 4 years, and I've been on an insulin pump for 3 1/2 years. I understand how you feel!!! I will always be here to talk, anytime you need a friend! There are a lot of great people on this forum that would love to chat with you and encourage you!

Hope to hear from you soon!

5. Pener3621

Pener3621 Approved members

Thanks

Hi, I know it is going to be five years this christmas. It still sucks Cathie:cwds:

6. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Hey, it's good to "meet" you. I understand, it's still very hard - some think it gets easier the longer you have it, and while that is true to an extent - it never goes away and it must be maintained every day.

But, it's worth it to take care of ourselves, I think.

Anywho, I'm here to talk too! I love to talk... heehee... anyways.

Later!

Beth

7. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Tell Me About It

I have had diabetes for 5 1/2 years now and I hate when people try to pretend they understand me.
    Did anyone else ever get that awful line "oh you have diabetes! I know just how awful that is, thats what my grandmother died from"
    For heavens sake, is that suposed to make me feel better?!?!?!:rolleyes:

8. researcher2005

researcher2005 New Member

aggrevated at some people

I know exactly how you all feel. I have been diagnosed for 13 years and on the pump for 12. I live in a small town so not many people knew what diabetes even was. I lost a lot of friends for awhile, until they figured out what diabetes was. A teacher of mine had a daughter that had just been diagnosed so he tried to help me out by talking to the other students about it. Now, it seems as though everyone has diabetes. By that I mean, when someone finds out I have diabetes, someone they know has diabetes and are not doing so well with it. . . losing legs, eyes, hearing, dying. How is that suppose to make you feel better? I have finally just told people who "feel sorry for me", that I don't need sympathy. If they feel that sorry for me, why don't they become educated about diabetes or give money to research? Doesn't make much sense to me to feel sorry for me but not want to help find a cure so they want have to feel sorry for me. But then again, that's just my opinion. Anytime anyone needs to talk, let me know.

9. Nana

Nana Approved members

oh, yeah... I hate that :)

and I also hate, when people forget that I have diabetes, and they offer me something sweet to eat, and when they remember, they will apologize to me for an hour :cwds: I don't care if they forget, but I really hate that annoying apologizing!

10. faithe113001

Oh yeah, I also understand!! Drives me nuts....

11. E. Goo

E. Goo New Member

Bewildered...

I'm 16 years old and I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about three months ago. I've talked to my doctor about why, exactly, and he told me that heredity is my basic problem. But I mean, come on... :( I'm a very young person and I've been diagnosed with the type of diabetes that people aren't supposed to get until age 40. I've been reading up on the specifics of Type 2 and all of the true-to-life examples that they use in the reading are stories of 40 and 50 year old people. I'm working on getting in better shape(there's a little to fix in that area, but COME ON... )and all of that stuff and I'm on two different kinds of medicines (Metformin, DiaBeta) for my sugar issues. I don't have to deal with insulin yet and my A1C wasn't catastrophic, but my doctor is telling me that I could have serious complications and stuff if I don't get this under control relatively soon. I'm scared, to be blunt. My dad has had Type 2 for a long while now, and he has handled it, but I didn't realize the seriousness of diabetes control until I was diagnosed myself. I haven't met any other teenagers with Type 2 as of yet, and I'm really wanting to find someone who's in my situation... I don't know many other teenagers with diabetes period, but those that I do know only have Type 1. I'm just kind of needing somebody to talk to about this in general, but if there is a teenager out there who does have Type 2, I would love to talk to you about things. I want to know what you're having to deal with, too. Thanks

12. faithe113001

I have type 1, but I know a 10-year old boy that has type 2. He is slightly out of shape, but his dad also has type 2. I also know a 14 year old boy who is currently having issues with his islet cells, which will probably lead to type 2 in the near future. Heredity is a major factor in type 2, I know people are constatly talking about older people who are stressed and overweight getting it, but they never talk about the cases where it isn't preventable. That really bugs me about being type 1 also, people automatically associate diabetes in general with being overweight, and have no idea that in some cases it isn't preventable.

13. Nana

Nana Approved members

I was diagnozed with diabetes at age 13 (5 years ago). It was so early, that doctors thougt that i have type 2. So I was just on a diet for a year before they realized that I have type 1, and then I got insulin.

14. copperroom

copperroom Approved members

When i told people I have diabetes they all said "thats because your fat."which i am not just in shape to be a lineman(football).

15. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

Hey!

If you ever need anybody to talk to, I am here! I've had Diabetes for five years. My having Diabetes (and a liver transplant in 2003) has given me a lot to share.

16. KarenBouchard

KarenBouchard New Member

Need your advice

Hi Everyone,
    My name is Karen and I am Physician Assistant student at South University in Georgia. I stumbled across this website while doing some research on Juvenile Diabetes and would like to ask your opinions about a few questions. I really want to hear what you have to say so please post a reply or send an e-mail to me.

What is something you wish you had heard from your Dr. or PA when you found out you had Juvenile Diabetes?

What is the best advice you can give me as a health care provider that you think will really help you?

How important do you think it is to be involved in support groups like this one?

Thank You so much:) ,

Karen Bouchard
    Bouchard4321@aol.com

17. insulinfreak

insulinfreak Approved members

One Thing I Would Of Loved To Hear When I Was Dx'd With Diabetes Is '"oh Soryy We Made A Mistake You Dont Have Diabetes"

18. Britter-Critter

Britter-Critter Approved members

Gotcha

Ya i understand where ur coming from..i got diagnosed right after my 17th bday, I hate having so many meds in my house..between the humolog, lantus, and the shots it gets crazy sometimes..but none of my friends really understand. So if anyone wants to chat just email me!