- advertisement -

Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is very encouraging and reassuring:cwds: Thank you for posting this Darryl

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thank you for sharing! While we bemoan the lack of a cure it's good to remember how much improvement has been made (and is still being made) in medicine and technology for diabetes. :cwds:

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes, we are very fortunate in this way. Not too many other "serious conditions" that affect children carry the possibility of a normal life expectancy, or a normal life at all for that matter.

5. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Thanks for sharing it is very encouraging. :)

"Good blood sugar control is the key"

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here, but thank you very much for posting Darryl as I fall in the "improved age" group. I love any reports of better long term results! Ali

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

8. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

"Life expectancy at birth for someone diagnosed with type 1 diabetes between 1965 and 1980 was estimated to be 68.8 years compared to 72.4 years for the general population. But, for someone diagnosed with type 1 diabetes between 1950 and 1964 the estimated life expectancy at birth was just 53.4 years."

Look at the dates - guess when the first blood glucose meter was introduced for diabetics to use at home. 1973! Someone born in 1973 would only be 7 years old in 1980 (the end date of the study). There is a good chance that those diagnosed after 1980 would have a life expectancy even higher. How much of a difference that one piece of technology made in regulating blood sugars over the years of someone's life. It's amazing how well people did before that considering how little they had to work with.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

As always, Darryl, your post was informative and upbeat.
    I haven't been on in a while, so I want to also mention how gorgeous Leah is! My goodness what a lovely young lady she is growing up to be. Good job!

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I remember when my husband and I started dating seriously and I decided I needed to know more about t1d, he had me read a book called "The Diabetic Man" and it talked about a shortened life expectancy...that was a tough moment, didn't change my love, but it hit me hard.
    Thank you for sharing this report, I want nothing more than to live as many days of my life with my husband. I know it's a wonderful article for what it means for our children, too...I just can't help but think of my husband and how his treatment was so different when he was first diagnosed, I am thankful that treatment just keeps getting better.

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thank you!

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Thanks, Joy... and that reminded me, she's 13 now :eek: so I just updated my signature! And thanks CAGrandma too, I hope you are right. 68 years life expectancy sounds OK when compared to an average of 72, but I am hoping for a lot longer than either of those numbers for everyone here.

13. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

If for the general population life expectency at birth is around 72, and with D at diagnosis date it is
    1950-1964: 53.4 years
    1965-1980: 68.8 years

At this rate of improvement can we expect
    1981- 1997: 84 years
    1998-2013: 99 years ?

Would be nice.:D