- advertisement -

Licking the Bowl [and Other Food Rituals]

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SandiT, May 7, 2013.

1. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

It's a private school that doesn't take funding. I also didn't really want to make too many waves, anyway, since Kira's moving to public school next year. I was hoping we'd make it through the last of this year and then just move on, you know?

The NPH was so that she wouldn't have to have shots at every single snack and/or lunch during the day at school. They eat a snack, and have a lunch... and if she goes outside, there's another snack so she doesn't go low (as she is highly prone to do during outside activity of any kind, since she goes nonstop like a jack russel terrier, lol).

I didn't want her to have to be tested at snack time, just to be able to eat and go. And I didn't want her to have to have shots at lunch, just test and go.

It hasn't worked out that way at all.

Currently, she's having to test at every snack and lunchtime anyway, and needed corrections at snack time about 3 times so far this week, and 4 last week.

Once she's "off" at snack time, it throws off the rest of the day, but the nurse educator and I have been trying to alter the NPH and the novo to get her a little more stabilized (or a pretense thereof :p ).

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son uses needles quite a lot even on pump, so definitely look into finding the 1/2 unit syringes. Is CVS your only option? Walgreen's does not keep them in stock but will order them for us, I just make sure to order a few days before I actually want them and they'll get them for us.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So right now how is she getting corrections at snacktime?

I think that once you have moved from using only NPH to cover meals and snack to also using Novolog to give corrections and cover some of the carbs then it has gotten too complicated. I don't even know if i would be able to figure it out because you are dealing with two insulins with different peaktimes and durations and not the same everyday.

how are he night and wake up numbers?

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We had to do quarter units when dd was on MDI and we had half unit syringes and it was STILL a pain. She was getting shots at school and we have no nurse so it was the secretaries. Thankfully they were very willing and competent. Even so drawing up quarter units was stressful for all of us. Sometimes even a quarter unit was too much.

I do believe you will find the pump much easier. It's not perfect, nothing other than a fully working pancreas is, but it really does help in many ways.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How about asking your endo about the premixed insulins they come in pens and vials but you would not have the issue with miss-drawing the second insulin and having to startover. I would think that they are more predictable than NPH but I don't have any experience with them. I was looking at them thinking about my second dd that may be Dx'd very early and will most likely not need insulin overnight.

6. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I don't know about those. At this point, I think I'm just holding on until pump time, lol.

In the grand scheme of things, even with these highs and lows, that this is a fairly insignificant period of time. A few weeks or a few months in the larger picture of life is a very short time.

It just feels long because it's aggravating and hard. But this, too, shall pass. And hopefully by the time we need any other insulin besides novolog, she'll be on large enough doses that it will be a nonissue to have 1 unit needles. The plunger problem won't feel so vast and all of this will be a distant memory.

That's what I keep telling myself. :cool: