- advertisement -

Levimir users, 1 or 2 shots a day for basal?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So my oldest is fine with a booty shot of Lantus, but my youngest who does not have as much of a booty complains 70% of the time that it "hurts".

Now, she had never had a shot back in April as we started straight away with the pump at DX in 2014. But wanting to get them both pumping with a Lantus shot to help with being disconnected for activities and the possible failed pump site at school after we had just moved across country.

I truly believe the Lantus shot hurts, and have explained that we will continue to do a basal shot, but if she wants to try something else that might mean a AM and PM shot. To my surprise she want to try Levimir if it does not hurt even if it is twice a day.

SO wondering how many people on Levimir are getting away with once daily and how many need twice daily?

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I was on Levemir only briefly, and there was no way I could get away with only once a day. You probably can if you're pumping and give it in the morning so you know she'll be tethered at night when it's wearing off, though. It doesn't give you much protection against highs then if you have a failed site in those early morning hours, but you have the Dexcom to alert you to any trouble before it's terrible. When I took two shots a day I needed uncovered snacks a few hours after the dose each time. It's definitely not my favorite insulin profile.

Have you tried the Lantus in an arm? I know it's not as great as the bottom, but it doesn't make a huge difference. And I'm sure you already know this, but, injecting slowly and at room temperature?

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter is older and insulin needs greater. We find that Levimer does not hurt, but it also does not last the whole day for her. What we have done successfully in the summer for untethered is give the Lev shot about 8 am, then she gets about 15% of what would have been her overnight basal with the pump. This way as the Lev starts tapering off, the pump kicks in. We turned the pump back on at 10pm.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Levemir was always a 2x a day insulin for us.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We always did 2 shots of Levemir, one in the morning and one at night.

6. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

2x here but it seems to me 2x with less pain is better than 1x hurting

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Agreed. My daughter would much rather have had multiple Levemir injections than a single Lantus one.

8. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

Our endo said Levemir is definitely best twice a day. My DD injects 30 units twice a day - mostly in the thigh and it never stings. We've never tried Lantus, but knowing it stings, my DD isn't willing to try it. Levemir works very well for us.

9. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I think Lantus works better, but our insurance wants Levemir, so that is what we use. We currently do one shot a day, but I wonder if two would do us better. I think he is going through a growth spurt because his numbers have been a bit higher. We are in the process of getting a pump, so hopefully that will help level things out. How do you decide how much to give and when if you split the dose?

10. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Same way all diabetes decisions are made- either consulting the stars, tea leafs, or tarot cards.

But realistically, you need to watch if blood sugars are trending up before meals and when fasting- after the period when it would be food causing blood sugars to be high. That suggests more basal is needed. If you can't increase the dose any more without getting lows a few hours after the dose, but are trending up 12+ hours after the dose, then it's an indication that the insulin isn't lasting the full 24 hours and a second daily shot is needed.

11. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son prefers 2 shots of Levimir to 1 shot of Lantus. Levimir still stings but not nearly as bad as Lantus in his opinion.