- advertisement -

Let's talk curls...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Tricia22, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

My hair is naturally wavy and thick... if I let it air dry, it is generally wavy, if I just blow dry it, it's thick and relatively straight. I also have lots of random "boingy", curly-Q, corkscrew hairs in my head at any given time. I have always wanted curly hair, and I got a perm once, but didn't like it... looked like a perm rather than nice, luxurious curly hair... So... I bought some curl activating gel cream stuff, and tried it tonight. It worked ok when I put it on wet, brushed it through and dried my hair on medium heat on low air setting with the diffuser on my blowdrier. Any other suggestions for bringing out the curl and pumping up the curl when you have naturally wavy, not curly hair? Any amazing products you know of that definitely work to make wavy hair curly? It there a certain good technique for how to blowdry it to get the curl to come out, or what to do when it's air-drying to bring out the curl?
    Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ditch the diffuser, reattach the directional nozzle and dry from the roots only. You sort of dry it in clumps. :rolleyes: I've been tempted to try this stuff http://www.mixedchicks.net/ someone here recommended it, maybe they'll chime in :cwds:

Oh, and never brush. Comb if you must, but never brush curls ;-)

Ok - I think I sort of misread your post --- for more curl, what about a small curling iron - going with the natural wave pattern of you hair?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  3. buggle

buggle Approved members

I don't brush (usually don't comb either) and I stopped drying. My curls won and do what they want.

At this age, however, I do look a bit like Betty Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" -- minus the bow, of course. :D (and the makeup and the dress...). :p

[​IMG]

4. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I have naturally curly hair myself. Mine however is not real thick although it looks like it is because of the curls. I don't know if a certain cut would bring out the natural curl but I would think it might. It might involve thinning it a little to take the heaviness/weight out of the hair.

And to you Rella, LMAO!

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yes, I'll tell you tomorrow I don't want to wake up hubby :) I found something I LOVE your hair looks and feels great, no wet look or crunchiness. If I don't remember, PM me :)

I don't use a comb or a brush. I use a large pick to comb it out...

6. etringali

etringali Approved members

A stylist suggested to me to use clips. put a little of whatever styling product you like through damp hair, scrunch up sections and secure with the butterfly clip. Let air dry or blow dry. when dry, take out clips, tousle, and go.

7. shekov

shekov Approved members

I have long hair that has a natural wave to it ever since my youngest dd was born (used to be stick straight - go figure).

I use Aveeno leave in conditioner on the hair below my ears and down. It's super light and doesn't get greasy or crunchy. I never brush, only comb.

8. Heather(CA)

I can't find it on their website but I sent them an email asking about it...I'll keep you posted:confused: It's called Swirl curl enhancer by Freeman. It's in a purple bottle.

9. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

10. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I have really curly hair, so I don't know if the product that I use will be helpful.

I use a product called Re-Coil by AG Haircare (http://www.aghaircosmetics.com/products_recoil.cfm). This stuff is seriously the BEST! Everyone that I have talked to that has used it just raves about it. It can be difficult to find as only a couple salons in my area carry it. I have also found it at Beauty First. Also, it is a bit pricey. I have paid $18-$22 per bottle. However, I can't stand when my hair is unruly, so I splurge when it comes to styling products.

11. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

YEAH!! I love Curly Girl! It's my hair care "bible". I never knew I had curly hair hiding under what I used to religiously brush straight-- never had the patience to blow dry or flat-iron it.

I only wash once every 6-10 days with shampoo, condition every time I get it wet (every other day). I agree with the others who said to comb only. I finger-comb in the shower while conditioning.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my daughter has thick, coarse wavy/curly hair. She loves the aussie stuff - I can't go look, but y ou know the purple stuff. The only problem is that it's very flakey. But it REALLY brings out the curl in her hair. Her problem is that the minute she hits the hairdryer to her head she's frizz. She's my girl. ;)

13. Heather(CA)

I finally heard from them, sorry, the product is discontinued and sold out...:( That is a major bummer, I loved it when I had a perm:(