advertisement

Lesson learned on pump fail

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by goochgirl, Dec 24, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

This is a first for us. Usually, if a site goes bad, it is because of blood in the cannula and we can see it up the tubing. Tonight we went to a friends for dinner. Yo was a bit high when we left. I'd corrected him, and gave him some hot dogs (I knew he wouldn't eat her food). While there, he had a couple of small pieces of bread, bites of steak, olives... nothing I'd consider carb loading! I bolused him for the bread and a bite of cake he'd had. He was so cross, I took him home early. Figured it was because it was late. Checked him "HI" ugh! Rechecked, checked ketones, bolused, added for ketones, rechecked in 40 minutes. He was down a bit, but not enough. No blood in the cannula! Set him up for a site change anyway. BTW, its a pretty new bottle of insulin, and he'd been sick, so running high, anyway. While doing the site change, I found the culprit!! The tubing had split off the part that twists onto the reservoir. He wasn't getting any of the insulin. It was squirting out the tubing. So, its been a long night. Diabetes. Blah!!!!!!!!!!!

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I hate those sort of nights... At least you found and fixed the simple problem.. :cwds: Happy Holidays.. :cwds:

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

UGH!!:mad:

This sometimes happens if my son wears his pump in his jeans' pocket. Which he doesn't often, thankfully.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've had this happen, a lot... it hasn't happened in a long time.. happens more when she wears the clips and not the pouch. Its happened enough that its part of the routine 'check' when she's high and we weren't expecting it. I wouldn't consider it a pump failure but rather just par for the course with pumping.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, that happens to me more often when I'm shoving the pump into my pocket without using the clip. Nowadays I mostly use the clip. Glad you found the culprit and could solve the problem. :)

6. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks for posting this. We are new to pumping but I did not even realize this could happen.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

What a headache!!

Nathan used to have a pump pouch with a smaller-than-normal pocket and it seemed that every time he used that one the tubing broke off. I am embarrassed to admit how long it took me to figure out it was the pocket breaking it.:p

8. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We've had that happen before too (but no so bad that it was squirting out, just small leak - which is bad enough). Sorry you had a rotten night.

9. goochgirl

He woke up high again today, so I checked the cannula, which had more blood than I'd ever seen before. As I prepped him for a site change, I noticed the tubing on this one broke, too. I don't know what is going on!!! I'm thinking its just a bad lot.

10. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Hmm, have not seen this yet but thanks for the tip so I know to look for it as a possible cause.

One thing I notices is that most of the respondents are either on the MM or did not have the pump make mentioned. Anyone see this with the Animas tubing/connectors?

11. goochgirl

Our pump is an Animas

12. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Are you using animas insets or generic ones?