- advertisement -

Lead up to diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by T'Belle, Aug 23, 2013.

1. T'Belle

T'Belle Approved members

Hi, my daughter was diagnosed at Easter time with type 1. I'm still getting my head around everything and she had a pump put on a week ago which is also proving to be so much better.

Anyway her identical twin sister has been going through mood swings for a few months now. She often complains she feels sick and her legs hurt. Her school work isn't progressing. I was thinking its one of 2 things, either she is reacting to her sister getting so much attention or its a medical factor.

So I took her to the dr to rule out medical reasons and all the results came back normal except she showed she has an allergy to something and her glucose levels were 2.6 (46.8). I then tested her myself last night and her levels were 12 (216). Can the pancreas make you go low and high before the onset of diabetes? Or do normal healthy people have levels like this?
    TIA.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Those are not normal numbers that healthy people have, but what you discribe is a child that now has a known allergy and is symptomatic.

My dd was only 13months old so experience with onset and a toddler, and toddlers have mood swings.

I would suggest that you get your daughter in with the endo to do more specific blood work, bring the bllod results showing the low BG and mentio the above 200 home meter test.

There are allot of twins with only 1 T1D dx, but also it is not unherd of to have 2 dx's

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Im surprised that a doctor wouldn't have been concerned at the blood glucose at 46 and not look into that immediately.

4. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Agreeing to have it checked out further... My son was having random lows several months before his diagnosis. But just before dx he had the flu and his BG was elevated into mid 100s. Not to alarm you, of course, but sharing our experience in hopes of helping another family.

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I've read about a few twins that have both gotten type 1 diabetes...I know one of the sets I met was on youtube on a live chat with diabeticdanica I think they were diagnosed a few months apart. Definitely get her into an endo to look into it further :)

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would consult with your T1D's endocrinologist. I have identical twins, and we did TrialNet, where we found that she had 5 markers for D. It comes down to her having a 75% of getting diabetes. Whenever there is the slightest inkling that something might be brewing that would point towards diabetes, I have consulted our team.

Right now, things for us are OK. We like to say that she has a 25% chance of not getting diabetes.

I definitely would send these numbers to your endo and see what they think.
    I hope it is nothing...

7. T'Belle

T'Belle Approved members

Thanks guys, I was wondering if I was just being paranoid but seems like my gut instinct is probably right again. I have emailed her team and if I don't get a reply in the next couple of days I will ring them. Unfortunately Izzy has a horrible fear of needles so this is going to be a nightmare till we get it all sorted.

BTW she did have the screening test done and she has 1 of the antibodies. They were wanting to retest her then do the fasting glucose test to see what risk category she is in. My guess they will do the glucose test straight up now as it takes 6 weeks to get the results of the antibody screening test back.

8. momMD

momMD Approved members

I was told identical twins are 50% risk, fraternal are not more increased risk than siblings. One of my twins is diabetic but mine are fraternal. Trial net is pending still...
    Criteria for diagnosis of type 1 is:
    ■Fasting plasma glucose ≥126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) on more than one occasion. Fasting is defined as no caloric intake for at least eight hours.
    ■Random venous plasma glucose ≥200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) in a patient with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia
    ■Plasma glucose ≥200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) measured two hours after a glucose load of 1.75 g/kg (maximum dose of 75 g) in an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). Most children and adolescents are symptomatic and have plasma glucose concentrations well above ≥200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L); thus, OGTT is seldom necessary to diagnose T1DM.
    ■Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) ≥6.5 percent (using an assay that is certified by the National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program). This criterion is more useful to diagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) in adults, and should be confirmed by hyperglycemia.

I would say unfortunately, you have 2 diabetic kids now. I am sorry and hope you and your family the best - having twins is crazy enough without diabetes!

9. T'Belle

T'Belle Approved members

Thank you for that information. I spoke to my daughter diabetic educator and she has told me to take her levels at fasting, which have been 4.4 (79) which is perfect. Then 2 hrs after a feed which has been around 7.9 to 8.3 (142 - 149) which to me seems pretty good (correct me if im wrong please) Maybe they were some random numbers or maybe this is a slow process of her pancreas stopping. Our endo dr told us DD would of had it for a year before hand even though she had blood tests about 5 months before diagnosis with perfect levels. I am doing a star chart for her as she is so horrified of needles. Maybe this will be good to get her used to this side of things if we are heading to T1D.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I don't agree. Its too early to tell. One high number doesn't mean a definite diagnosis. Don't give up hope yet. :). It's impossible for anyone to say what will happen. It is fortunate, if she does get diabetes, that you were able to catch it early. Hopefully she won't get it and all will be well.

Good luck!

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I also do not agree. What the OP discribes does not as of yet fit any of the criteria you have posted. even if it did then it is not for sure the onset of Diabetes.

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think it is dangerous (and irresponsible) to make these kinds of statements here. In the future you may want to reconsider posting comments like this.

That said, you may be right, but it is not really our place to diagnose a child here.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. T'Belle

T'Belle Approved members

I spoke to our educater who as told me her levels are currently ok. She has to head into the hospital next month for more blood tests and they want to do the glucose fasting test on her but currently they aren't too concerned which is a relief for now. We will just keep an eye on her like we normally do.

Thank you everyone for your advice and information. I really appreciate it

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This is good to hear. We are not here to diagnose a child's diabetes.

15. momMD

momMD Approved members

I am glad to hear you are getting good numbers 2 hours post. My son had normal fastings for a few weeks after diagnosis but had no tolerance to carbohydrates. Hopefully that high was just random - it is only diagnostic with classic signs/symptoms so heres to hoping she is fine!

16. momMD

momMD Approved members

Please know that I am not trying to upset or diagnose anyone. I apologize if I overstepped, I was just sharing what the diagnostic criteria are...

17. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Has anyone or could they run an a1c to get a baseline of where she is at right now? If the dr doesn't want to do one, them maybe you can pick one up at the drugstore?

18. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This is a little more than just sharing the diagnostic criteria and I think this statement is what had people concerned. But thanks for the apology. :cwds: