- advertisement -

Late Dinners/Evening Snacks

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by szofa12yrold, Nov 24, 2011.

1. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

Recently I am finding myself with later dinners that are 3 hrs or less before bedtime and evening snacking even just 1 hr. before bedtime. My Novolog lasts me exactly 4.5 hrs. How do others handle such situations. I am a little concerned about going hypo if I go to sleep with a shot still working, not so much if I am at the end of the shot but if I am still early into it. Do you just not do it, do you go ahead and set an alarm and wake up and test, do you underdose? Wondering what others experiences and advice are.

2. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I always feed my son at bedtime because he is always STARVING, and give his correction. The carb ratio is less than during the day though and I do always check 2-3 hours after the dose and again around 2 or 3 am.

3. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

OOPS, sorry I just realized this was under adults with type 1!

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I try not to go to sleep with significant insulin on board. If I need to take insulin fairly late, I often just stay up later. I can't really get away with setting an alarm because any alarm I set to wake me up would also wake up the people I live with and they're not in favor of that. I did used to set an alarm when I lived alone.
    I sometimes just go to sleep and if I go hypo in the night... oh well. I've probably gone hypo in the night hundreds of times by this point. I do have my parents check on me in the mornings so that, at least in theory, I might be discovered before the hypo killed me.

Under dosing for the late night snack strikes me as something that is a particularly good idea for you because your body makes some insulin and may bring your blood sugar down overnight anyways.

5. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

Jake's mom, no worries. I expect that some parents may respond when I post. You all are in the trenches with this everyday too. It is sometimes helpful to read the posts related to kids. I was reading one on how your(collective) kids are often so starving at dx and it was helpful as I am still underweight and feel hungrier lately. Could be a different cause/s for me but when I read adult boards I don't run across this much-just T2's and cravings and that's a different issue ;)

Jonah, you remember well, that I do make some of my own still. For whatever reason, that I haven't figured out yet, I find myself often needing to dial back a half unit lately with my doses. So glad I bugged my doc for that half unit Novopen Jr.!