- advertisement -

Late Breakfast/<5 hrs. Between Meals

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by szofa12yrold, Sep 25, 2011.

1. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

What are your experiences/advice with dealing with less than 5 hrs. between meals. I am using Novolog flexpen. On the weekends sometimes I sleep in and find that I am deciding amoung the following options:

A: adjusting all my meal times for the day to accoommodate 5 hrs. between so I can take my insulin with meals

B: skipping my breakfast insulin and eating only a very low-carb B of non-starchy veggies and meat and eating lunch on schedule maybe 3 hrs later
    I still make enough of my own insulin to get away with this but take insulin because I am very insulin deficient and want to give beta cells a rest

C: skipping breakfast entirely(I prefer not to skip) I'm not on basal and can get away with this. BG stays stable.

Any other options?

I haven't been on insulin long, maybe 1 month but the only mild hypo that I had was from injecting lunch insulin less than 5 hrs. after B and after finishing L. Got some overlap before my food from L raised BG. I had injected between 4 1/2 hrs and 20 min before 5 had finished. I seem to still get a last horaah with the insulin around 4 1/2 hrs. but it's definitely finished by 5 as my BG goes up to my base.

That mild hypo(74, which I did experience symptoms) was after I had 2 units at B and 2 units at L. I am wondering if I had 1 unit at B and 2 at L if there would be less overlap. Maybe that's still unsafe. I surely won't try anything unless I talk with my doc. but was wondering what your experiences are.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Using insulin- any insulin- is not a reason to wait five hours between meals. The only thing to do differently if you put your meals closer together is to not correct high blood sugars in the shot for the second meal if the insulin from the first meal is still active- and I'd stop worrying about that well before five hours.

In the example you gave, I'd do 2 units for Breakfast and 1 for Lunch, not 1 for breakfast, 2 lunch. For one thing, often the same amount of insulin will cover more food at lunch v breakfast for a lot of people, and unless you've seen evidence to the contrary, I'd assume you're one of them, and for another thing, you want to reduce the insulin that was most active when you went hypo- the lunch one.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When we started on insulin we were told to wait at least 4 hours between meals. She would eat at 8 and then at 12 or so. We also were encouraged to have a 15g. snack between meals. Maybe you need a small snack to keep from going low between meals if you are dosing less than 5 hours apart.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Great advice here!

5. szofa12yrold

Interesting. I have to wrap my head around that. I've just been afraid of overlapping and getting all mixed up with where I'm at. With waiting 5 hrs. I know pretty well where I stand at all times.

I just started breakfast insulin a week ago and am still sorting that out. My meal composition and BG and insulin dose for L and D is very stable and I don't correct before. I've got a good thing going there. Breakfast has been more of a challenge to work out a combo of insulin and food that I am happy with. So far 1 unit is not enough by a good amount and 2 units is cutting it close a bit sometimes or nor enough others and that is after trying various portions of the same foods. I'm fairly limited on my food choices right now due to allergies. Eventually I hope to be able to try more options and tolerate them well. Hoping to be able to get half units to see if I can get a better balance that way.

Aside from trying the same meal and insulin at B and L, I am not sure yet, how the same amnt. of insulin affects me at those differnt times of day. Haven't checked into it with that experiment because my L meals are too much food for me at B.

Hmmm, 2 units at B and 1 at L, that might be a possibility to try some weekend. I'd have to test it out well...With my meal composition at L and D my BG doesn't go up too high too fast early on so I've been concerned about that overlap time after starting to eat.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If you have food that matches the insulin, you don't need to wait to give the insulin. As Jonah said, it is the corrections that cause stacking, not bolusing for meals.

7. szofa12yrold

Snacks

I'll keep that in mind. I was meaning to ask my doc about snacks. Most of the time I don't snack on anything that would be enough to take a dose of insulin but once a week at church I might like to have something that would require a shot, at the fellowship time which is between L and D. And sometimes I like something extra after dinner that I would need an extra shot for.