- advertisement -

Last Min Descision to go to camp - need help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charmed7, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

So last Friday I decided to try and set up my 14 year old son for camp for the first time ever. I've been so busy filling out forms, working on getting funding etc that I never stopped to ponder what he will need to bring. He's going to Barton in MA for two weeks. I was wondering around CVS last night and was like, OMG does he need laundry detergent, a towel, sunscreen, what else am I forgetting!

Can anyone give me some insight on a list of things to bring? I'm worried about going over board, but I would hate for him to be there and not have something important. Is one camping back pack enough? I'm so worried about it and he leaves on Sunday!

Good grief!

C7

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi,
    We go to the sister camp, Clara Barton. He will be at Camp Joslin which is in my daughters terms "much more posh!"

Go onto the camp website and they have a list of forms. Buried in there will be the packing list. He won't need detergent since they don't have laundry facilities. Bring enough for every day and then extras. They will get wet and muddy, so bring nothing of value. A lot of kids pack in trunks, but most pack in giant duffels. LOL, my daughter did and then proceeded to hide in one and scared the beJesus out of her counselor!

Some of what we bring:
    Sheets
    Blanket
    Pillow
    Laundry bag
    Bathing suit
    Towels
    Shorts, shirts
    Sweatshirt
    Long pants
    Rain gear (LOL though they never use it)
    Sunscreen
    Bug spray
    Flashlight
    Flip flops (for shower)

If in doubt, email the camp staff, they are very quick to respond. info@bartoncenter.org

He will have a great time!

3. Charmed7

Not sure if you know this answer, but he's a bed wetter. So if he wets through his clothes they would just sit in a bag for two weeks!? I hope they have someone to wake him through out the night to use the bathroom.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

I believe that they do have the capability to do laundry if needed, and that if the nurse knows about it they will handle the waking during regular BG checks. He won't be the first. Many of the cabins at Joslin have bathrooms inside too. But you'll be meeting with the nurse at check in and those are things you can discuss. They're very good about all sorts of medical needs - kids who need medicines at certain times of the day, boys who have privacy issues, all sorts of things. Don't let him be stressed. :)

There's also this thing called "hike to heck" which is a hike through a swampy mud puddle in the woods. It's not mandatory but all the boys seem to love it. So pack items which you are prepared to never see again (like sneakers that are old..they fall off...and you don't get them back) and most of the clothing gets tossed after the hike.

Bring things like clothes pins and laundry line - you can usually rig something up in the cabin to dry towels etc. Also, many of the cabins have electricity near the bunks so you can often plug in a small fan.

Most of the kids actually pack sheets on their beds, not sleeping bags - but bring something like an egg crate pad to go under and prevent the sheets from slipping. It might be steamy hot at night. Or it might be freezing, so we generally send a sleeping bag anyway to be used however he sees fit.

I've seen most of the boys with trucks or even those plastic tote buckets or plastic set of drawers. A normal sized trunk should fit under the bunk.

You do need to supply site changes if you pump but otherwise you don't need to bring any other diabetes supplies. :)

5. Beach bum

Pack extras for that event or get the bed pads. We did this for my daughter. I had it on the bottom sheet and then we put a top sheet over so no one would notice. If he does have an accident they will wash everything. But, he won't get stuff back right away, so have 2 back ups for this reason.
    Talk to the nurse at check in and you can discretely talk to the cabin counselor too. I have even sent an email prior explaining how my daughter was self conscious a out it. They gave the cabin crew a heads up. They also had her use the rest room at 2 am bg checks. It is very common.
    You want to avoid sleeping bags this time of year because the cabins get stuffy (at least at CBC they do). I like the idea of the Rubbermaid bucket, easier to keep/find stuff.

Oh and if he CGM's but doesn't do self management, check. CBC requested my daughter not wear hers if she didn't respond to the alarms at night. Plus she couldn't be bothered with keeping track of her receiver all the time!

6. Charmed7

Thank you! My list is getting longer, but managable. I don't think I'm prepared for this! :p

I'm glad we get to meet with people etc. That has lifted a lot of my worries.

7. Beach bum

It will be fine!
    You will go to check in and they will direct you to the cabin. Then you will be given a checklist of things to do. Health check in, dining hall, nutrition, swim test. So you will meet anybody and everybody!
    They really do a great job there and the director himself is T1d. :)

8. Charmed7

Dropped him off Sunday night! All is well. Had to mail a few things I forgot to bring and a few meds I didn't have filled. Otherwise good. I'm hoping he'll mail me a letter at least!!