- advertisement -

Large Ketones.. first time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phaunt, Mar 30, 2009.

1. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Lilly has had congestion the last few days, complaining about her ear hurting. Was goign to take her to the doc this afternoon, but she was complaining about her tummy hurting, and wet the bed last nite, so I figured I better check her ketones.

First time we've ever had anything other than trace, and it's showing Large (using ketostix).. I talked to the endo, we gave her 2 extra units of Novalog with her lunch and are goign to test ketones again in 3 hours.

No throwing up, she's acting normal, so that's good. Have her drink a lot of fluids, right? Anything else we should be doing?

I'm a bit nervous, we've not had ketones before, even with high numbers. I'm thinking it must be the illness?

TIA!

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex hasn't had any problem with large ketones (knock wood) since dx, but it seems like you're doing all the right things (or at least what I'd do). Bear in mind that the urine sticks are hours behind the times, so you might want to add a Precision Ketone meter to your arsenal.

It stinks when our little ones get sick. Hope Lilly feels better soon.

3. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Thanks Barbara!

I am going to request the blood ketone meter.. I hate knowing that we're a couple hours behind the whole thing.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I agree, test often especially since the ketones may or may not still be present.
    I hope she feels better soon!!

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Urgh - Ketones are never fun....hope they clear up quickly. I second the recommendation on the ketone meter.
    Hope she feels better soon.

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Sure, sickness can do that. I'm guessing you had a high BG with those ketones, in which case you rightfully to give insulin to clear them out and bring it down. Urine ketones are tough since they will lag, so your endo has good advice on when to check. We test a little more frequently, but that can be done with the ketone meter. They clear out quickly, even less than an hour they will often be gone.

I would be prepared for some low BGs with ketones, and get some easily digestible liquid carbs ready... ginger ale, gatorade, popsicles. You might need them if the BG goes low.