- advertisement -

Large Insulin Increase

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 7, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

The Endo. raised Carolina's Levemir which she takes twice a day by a total of 8 units, 4 in the am and 4 in the pm since Monday. Monday she went to 10 each from 9, then 11 on Tuesday, and today to 13 units in the am and pm. This seems like a large insulin increase:eek:. She starts on the pump tomorrow evening:eek:. I am thankful we have so many options available for our children to be as healthy as possible.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Seems odd to be making these big last minute changes if you start pumping tomorrow, doesn't it?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really.:confused: That makes NO sense. Your endo knows you start pumping with insulin, not saline, tomorrow, right?

4. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Yes, Sarah she does know. Carolina's numbers have been so messed up since Prednisone. She has had a spot here and there below 200 and as you already know from another post she had a semi-low last night that took a while to bring up. I do believe the low last night was from the Novolog because I caught it 2 hours after snack and Novolog. Tonight I am going to do a 40 correction factor instead of 30 and a 14 carb ratio instead of 12. How does that sound? Is that enough?

5. Denise

Denise Approved members

i personally wouldn't do the change. Your insulin needs go down a bit when Molly started the pump....I would wait and see what pumping brings. Again, that's just an opinion...

6. bbirdnuts@aol.com

She already had her evening dose at 8pm. May not due the increase in the morning. I wonder how my night will be.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Sounds backwards. A higher ICR or ISF number means less insulin.

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

It will be a little sleep-deprived ;)

Good luck!