- advertisement -

Lantus pens ~ 1/2 units?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Lantus pens only deliver in whole units, yes?

A couple of times this summer DS slept at either MIL/my sister's house. They have a hard time w/ the syringe and getting 13 1/2 units out of the Lantus bottle.

Are Lantus pens pre-filled? Can I get a cartridge of Lantus to fit into a Novolog Jr. pen to get 1/2 units?

I too sometimes struggle w/ my bad eyes at night getting the 13 1/2 units just right; DS certainly can't do it either but handles the pen quite well. A pen would be easier, but I'm not sure if there are options - any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I asked my pharmacist if I could fit the lantus/apidra cartridges in a novo pen and they said no. We (canada) have the novopen echo which doses in .5 increments (it was just FDA approved in the states) and I figured the disposable cartridges must be the same size? I mean obviously each company is going to plug their own pen products but I got told no they won't fit lantus cartridges in a novo pen :( stinks too because it would be nice to have a bit more finer doses...

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We used Lantus pens when my daughter was on MDI, but they didn't do .5 units, so unless they've changed, you're stuck. Unfortunately, the bulk of the market for Lantus is T2 with large needs rather than little T1s with small needs.

My daughter didn't like the feel of the Lantus pen, so we ended up drawing out of it with syringes anyway. She preferred the Humalog pen, but she said the Lantus pen was really different in how it felt. Back in those days, she didn't need more basal than a pen provided for a month so we got much more insulin for our copay than with vials that got thrown.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

There is another member on the board who uses one of the Eli Lilly pens that does half units with lantus cartridges. Don?t remember the member?s user name

But lantus cartridges definitely don?t work in novo pens

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Blah; I was afraid of that; thanks for your input though.

Alicia, I have the Novo Echo pen, a friend from B.C. got it for me, but I'm glad to see it will be available in the U.S. next year! We were in downtown Toronto last week for a wedding and I went into every pharmacy (Shopper's, I think it was called?) trying to grab another Echo pen with no luck, :p

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You could use vials and a jet injector- the jet would dose half units. Don't really think that's such a practical idea though.
    I do recommend getting lantus pens and taking the insulin out via syringe just because it's cheaper, so that you're not throwing out hundreds of units of lantus each month when the vials expire.

7. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Next time try pharma save :) I use that pharmacy and they always have them :)

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Jonah, yes so much is wasted with the vials!

Alicia, I don't recall seeing a Pharma Save in Toronto, darn!

9. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Just realised there are only 3 in toronto..it's not a big box pharmacy like shoppers or Rexall Pharma Plus. If you ever go to toronto again and wanna try there here are the details for the locations.

Pharmasave
    www.pharmasave.com
    Google+ page
    462 Birchmount
    Toronto
    (416) 698-1616
    Pharmasave
    www.pharmasave.com
    Google+ page

1021 Kingston
    Toronto
    (416) 698-1641
    Toronto East Pharmasave
    www.tepharmasave.com
    Google+ page

825 Coxwell Ave
    Toronto
    (416) 778-1221

you prob could call in advance too and ask them to order a few :)

10. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Alicia, thank you very much for taking the time to post their info!!

11. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

No prob! :)

12. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Hopefully the half unit lantus pens will be easily available soon.

Until then, and if it is only for a night or two, how about rounding down and skipping the half unit?