- advertisement -

Lantus peak

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Apr 22, 2011.

?

Have you observed a Lantus peak in your child?

1. Yes, within 0-3 hours of injection.

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Yes, within 3-6 hours of injection.

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Yes, within 6-9 hours of injection.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Yes, but I've not pinpointed the time

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. I don't think so, but I haven't checked.

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. No, I've checked and there is no peak.

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Yeah I do have full access, but it is more time consuming to pull them up when I am off campus. They really are nothing earth shattering they just assert that lantus is peakless.

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Well, Wilf is strongly convinced that Lantus has a peak in his daughter. I believe him. I think he has done enough tests to confirm it to be true.

That being said, I still don't think that just because 70% say they see a peak in Lantus, that it follows that Lantus has a peak for 70% of type 1 children.

Basal need fluctuates. That's why those of us with a pump have multiple basal segments. There is bound to be a certain percentage of those that see a peak in Lantus who are really just seeing a decrease in basal need several hours after the Lantus dose.

I think though, that even if you subtracted out that percentage, there still would be a lot left for whom the peak is very real.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well if that is the scholarly consensus then I should probably contact Sanofi Aventis.

Though it is an interesting question whether the "peak" we are seeing which causes DD's blood sugars to drop is due to the period of overlap of concurrent Lantus injections, or due to an actual peak in the action of each injection.

4. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I've been lowering our lantus every few days (as I am everyone knows by now, lol) - the last couple of days something interesting is happening....we hit the point where we lowered just about enough or maybe a smidget too much....our 'drop/peak' has not happened the last two days. Yesterday we had no number drop at all....today we had a slight climb. I did not give any carbs, but tested practically every hour until after lantus hit to see what would happen...lantus drop should have happened between 3:30-4:30 from what we normally see. Before breakfast #was at 86

2am...102
    3am...94
    4am...104
    6am...103

I don't know if she had a low and a rebound, but I don't think so since the number didn't keep climbing. We are doing the 7-day cgm right now (which will probably get me in trouble since I didn't give a snack), but it will hopefully tell me more.

So now I am wondering if the 'drop' happens because Lantus really just tries to bring you to the level of the amount of Lantus no matter what....if that happens to be higher than where you are, maybe it makes you climb????

I am going to stay at this number for a couple more days and see if the results are consistent.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Bringing this back to life because of a question about whether Lantus peaks in a current thread.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we are now un-tethered with lantus as 100% basal and YES we have a peak at just about the 4th hour of injection.