- advertisement -

Lantus leakage

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Jun 27, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

Does this happen to anyone else? I just injected DS with his Lantus. Butt site. I did everything according to the book: Light pinch, insert needle, administer dose, release pinch, wait 10 seconds, pull out. Once the needle is out, a drop of clear liquid leaks out of his skin, supposedly the insulin. Great! Now I have no idea how much, if any, Lantus he got.

What am I doing wrong?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We release the pinch first then administer dose

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Are you using a pen or a syringe? For us, the pens never worked well. Too much leakback and never being confident on how much DD got made us switch to syringes. For us, that pretty much eliminated the problem.

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Pen. I think it's the butt site that's the culprit, though. The arm doesn't seem to get as much leakback. I'll try a syringe tonight.

5. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

That happens to Luke every once in awhile. It hasn't been an ongoing problem. He releases the pinch first. Actually I don't think he pinches any more. We tried a longer needle but that was a no-go. Oh. He uses the pen.

6. chicagodad

chicagodad New Member

According to the pen manufacturer's website, "Even after counting to 10, you might still see a very small account of leakage at times. Research has shown that there may be a very small amount of leakage after withdrawing a needle. However, the amount is minimal and does not appear to affect blood sugar control." Footnote to study."

My daughter's injections also have small amount of leakage occasionally. I haven't noticed any impact on her blood sugar profile when this happens.