- advertisement -

Lantus issue ... again? not sure.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Dec 9, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

1:45 pm 50
    5:21 pm 122 (dinner covered)
    9:24 pm 145 (snack covered and 1/2U correction - probably shouldnt have corrected)
    1:11 am 88
    5:46 am 124
    10:15 am 145 (lunch at school)
    1:30 pm 49! :eek::eek: treated, then rechecked, not sure what it was ...
    6:15 pm 135

Pretty good day, just that darn number a few hours after lunch and that was 1:15 ratio, vs 1:12 yesterday.. not sure what the heck is going on and he says he is eating all his lunch... my husband makes the lunch, but tonight I will recheck his carb counting just to be sure ;)

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Lantus and Levemir both peaked at 6 hours in when DD was on them. Depending on the sport, exercise can show up right away or 6 hours later. The general rule of thumb is 15 extra carbs per 1/2 hour of exercise. Is your son having 30 extra carbs for gym class? If not, I think that is your solution, as the numbers other than the afternoon lows look fine now that you lowered the Lantus. Or, instead of eating more, he could do 2 less units of bolus at lunch.

(Sorry, if this is irrelevant...too hard to follow all that arguing going on in this thread.)

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

That sounds like a good plan. :) Beautiful numbers :)

4. VinceysMom

No lows today!! yahoo! and came home from school and was 100:D ....

Phew! Let's see what tomorrow brings.. thanks again for all the comments and support!

Kathy

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

YEA! Good job ma ma...Did you find a problem with the lunch carbs?

6. VinceysMom

Did not find problem with lunch carbs... i blame it on gym class.. :eek:

BUT, last night he was 188 at bedtime, I didnt correct as I wasnt sure if dinner insulin was out of his system yet. We went to Red Robbin, chicken fingers and lots of fries... So I set my alarm for 2 a.m. and told him he may need a correction in the middle of the night... So just before 2 a.m. he called for me, felt horrible... 308. Gave him correction and woke up 6 am at 199. Well school just called (9:45 am est) and he dropped to 47... so I am thinking a few things:

1) the 2 a.m. insulin was not completely out of his system before I gave him the breakfast insulin WITH correction

2) the 1:6 was too much insulin - but i did 1:6 yesterday and he was 135 at lunch (or close to that, cant remember)

3) with all the insulin in him this morning coupled with that lovely gym class, he crashed... and of course, lunch is in 15 minutes! So, even though he is correcting the low with juice and probably something else, I think we will drop the insulin at lunch by at least one unit and have them recheck 2 hours later (the time he usually seems to drop)...

UGH is all I can say... :cwds: