- advertisement -

Lantus in the 'bum'

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pam H, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

Bad night! Lots of tears and lots of questions that I can't answer.

Just tell me how to give a shot in my boy's scrawny hiney that won't hurt. I give him the three Novolog in his upper arms and he doesn't complain - much. But every night he stiffens up in fear when his measley two units of Lantus are about to enter his body.

I hate this disease!

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

The problem is that Lantus stings, because of its Ph. Theres not much you can do really except make sure its at room temperature, which might help a little bit. People say that the bum is the least painful place to inject Lantus so not much help there.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

I agree, let it get to room temp. Maybe that is what is hurting, the stinging of the lantus.
    Pam, there are a couple of us in the chat room right now, if you want to join in. I see you are up.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Would it be ok to use a cold spray to numb the area prior to injection? Ask you endo about something like this, if you wish. I would use it to set him at ease and one day ask if it's ok to not use it. (the cold spray acts very quickly)
    Or just check if you can inject it somewhere else, like the belly. Or is Lantus really particular with respect to injection site? I don't know much about it.
    Good luck and (((HUGS)))!

PS - you can also numb the area with ice or an icepack

5. jwk's mom

jwk's mom Approved members

My son will not let me use his bum at all. We have always used the belly for lantus and never had a problem. It may be a mind thing with your son and using his bum. Endro told us as long as we rotate with three different areas that we are ok. We do arms legs and belly, but always use belly for lantus.

6. CButler

CButler Approved members

I'm sorry he hates the Lantus shot. My DD does too. I always give it in her bottom, and I pinch it up and keep it pinched up until the end of the 10 second countdown I do mentally, then let it down slowly before removing the needle. I'm sure you do that, too. For some reason, I thought Lantus was best in the bottom? She will only let me do her shots there. She usually shows me where the best place for her is.

7. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

We inject real slow. .. count 1 unit wait then 2 unit wait ect. she takes 10 and then we "pat" the area after. She HATES her lantus shot. It breaks my heart. I cant wait for the pump!!!!!

8. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

It somehow makes it better to know that many have trouble with the Lantus. I will try many of your suggestions - the ice, the slow injections, its already at room temp, the pinching. Cindy, would you send me a pm with the exact counting to 10 process? StillMamamia, thanks for the hugs. I'm still crying today! :cwds: This is hard stuff! hrtmomof3, I would have enjoyed the chat.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just one more thing...HANG IN THERE :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Some have switched from Lantus to Levemir...how has that worked for others? Less stinging? May need to take it 2x per day instead of 1x per day.

11. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

It's supposedly more variable as far as it's peak, and it's more pronounced in very young children. Wilf just changed from Levemir to Lantus, and noticed the difference with the variable peak with Levemir when comparing.

12. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

You could try giving it in the stomach area instead. We have been doing the stomach for almost 9 months(we told to use stomach at diagnosis) now and we have had no problems.