- advertisement -

Lantus... hours late... what to do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Jun 2, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hello everyone... hoping you can give me some suggestions... Vince is at work and we totally forgot to give him his Lantus before he left the house.. it is usually given at 6 pm est... now, he probably will not get it until 1 am...ugh! So do we give him only 3/4 of the dose at that time? or ? Your thoughts appreciated.

Thank you,
    Kathy

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think I would go ahead and give the full dose. Then tomorrow...give that one at 9pm. Then the next day back to regular schedule. Test a little more & adjust your bolus insulin if needed.

I'm sure others who use MDI could offer more help since we have been pumping so long...but that is what I would do. There is more than one way.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When we were on MDI, we were told two hours adjustment at a time, so when I forgot it once until 4 a.m., I went ahead and gave it then, the following night at 2 a.m., the next night was 12 a.m., and so on. My initial plan was to split dose the Lantus night-day and switching 1 unit each day until back (which is what we'd been told to do when we switched her from having Lantus in the morning to bedtime), but my daughter loudly vetoed the idea of 2 Lantus shots again.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

All set!! He called and had a quick break, we went up to work, injected and he is all set! THANK YOU, everyone!

5. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

we just did the same thing last week! I wish we had just given it late likeyou did. the endo had us do something different and numbers were crazy and high for 3 days. She had us wait and give lantus in morning, the next day give it at lunch then by the 3rd day give it at dinner. to slowly push it back to schedule. but he was high in the hours just brfore each dose.