- advertisement -

lantus dose... help needed.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

We've just come off school holidays and van's lantus needs went up drasticly. sInce June he's gone up 3 units a day to 16u. It seems like ahuge amount for a 9 year old 34kg boy.

What are your kids on and can anyone remember the dose/age estimate?

This seems like a huge hike and whilst he's obviously fighting off something at the moment (a spider bite from Tuesday I think because his forearm is like popeye) he's also getting 1.65u basal ph on the pump and it's not touching the numbers. Ketones are small o.2 but he's feeling rubbish.

Any help with the ratio might help, it may be that we've under dosed him for a while and he's just catching up or that school burns off way more sugar with the mental stress because he's been as active as ever for the holidays.

Cheers all.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Wait, so he's getting 16 units lantus plus a daily total of 40 units of basal through the pump for a total of 56 basal units per day?
    If I understood that correctly, then yes, that is a lot. How long has it been since school got out- how quick has the rise in insulin needs been?

3. lisab

lisab Approved members

Yasmine is 9 and weighs 32kg. Her current Lantus dose is 16u dramatic increase from 10u only a few months ago. Any less and she runs high...... Overnight we only see a variation of a 2 - 3 mmol on a normal night taking into account no unusually high activity during the day..... so we know the dose is correct for her.

Is the 1.65u total pump basal?

Hope Ivan is feeling better soon..... after the spider bite.:)

4. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Thanks for that, it makes me feel a little better at sudden increases.

The pump basal is only to get over what ever the heck is going on but the increase from 13 -16u was over a couple of weeks. he was on the 13 and didn't move over night, now he's in the BG 25's

If he doesn't come right in the next few days I'm going to have to up the lantus again. School is back in on monday so I'm hanging out to see if routine kicks in. If it does he obviously burns MASSES of sugar just sitting in class. I still think the spider has much to answer for but I am reluctant to let him sleep with that much basal going on so it's going to be a long night here.

BTW have changed site and insulin so nothings off (short of lantus being off againand I might start a new one tomorrow just to be sure).

5. lisab

lisab Approved members

I would say the spider bite would certainly be affecting the BG's at the moment.
    Are you giving antihistamine? Which may help if the bite is causing itching and irritation contributing to higher BG. Just a thought.

Hope you get it sorted before school goes back..... my kids head back on Mon also. I hate the begining of term, always takes a week or so for us to get things back on track. So I'm expecting at least a week of higher #'s :( while we make changes to I/C ratios for school .

Good Luck :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

My 9-year old DD is about 27kg and she is on 14U of Lantus (split 12-2). We do see major Lantus changes when she is fighting off something but it can go either way, unfortunately. Hope your DS feels better soon.

7. lisab

lisab Approved members

We do a (split 12m - 4n) Lantus