- advertisement -

Lantus burn help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

My friend's newly diagnosed child is finding the Lantus shot very tough to take.

I did a search, but couldn't find anything newer than 2012 on the topic. (It has been a long time since dd was on Lantus regularly)
    Any tips from those of you who successfully avoid the burn?

My dd says that the burning sensation lasts less than a minute and then goes away. But that is not so helpful to a newly diagnosed younger child, I think.

Thanks in advance for advice to pass along.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

The only thing I remember is that the pain was worse when the insulin was cold.

3. Northwoodsmama

Northwoodsmama Approved members

We had the same issue before pumping- I saw this in a magazine and bought it, it worked well for us.

http://buzzy4shots.com

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Yes, when we were on MDI, my daughter often complained that the Lantus shots sting. One thing I did was to soak my fingers in ice cubes, so, when I hold up her skin for the shot, the coldness of my fingers surprised/overpowered the sensation of the shot itself.

My daughter liked this trick, so, I have always iced my fingers for this shot.

5. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I also had experience with the Lantus burning. What seemed to help was rubbing my site with an ice cube for a few seconds, delivering half of my dose, waiting 10-30 seconds, and delivering the rest of the dose.

6. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thanks very much! I will forward the link to my friend (and encourage her to join our little family here). These are great tips for her son. Thanks!

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

My dd dose her shot in her booty, and with room temp Lantus. If it stings I tell her to smack it like when your foot falls a seep!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Good advice here for the burn. We actually switched over to Levimere to stop dealing with the burn. It is still our insulin of choice when we go untethered in the summer.