- advertisement -

Lacrosse and the pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LJS118, Mar 26, 2010.

1. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Just a quick question for those who have kids who play lax and are also on an insulin pump. Do your kids wear their pump during practices/ games??? Last year we disconnected (crazy #s) so I am thinking about having Ryan wear it.

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

You might wanna PM OSUmom. Her son plays Lacrosse...though umm, she has two sons so not sure which plays. :eek: In any case she is familiar w/ pumps and lacrosse and would be able to make suggestions. FWIW, my daughter plays basketball and soccer. In general, we keep her hooked up to the pump unless she's been running low all day.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

It is my son who doesn't have D who plays lacrosse. Ds who has D does play very intense basketball and removes his pump. I will say his endo has encouraged him before to keep it on to see about that. He just prefers to remove it.

I'd say maybe it depends how intense practice is on any given day or then how much he plays in a game. There could be a very very slight risk of it being hit by the ball or wacked by a stick. I think there may be some others here who do play lacrosse. Have you talked to his endo about how to manage during and after lacrosse?

I see your son's age - the being hit hard by a stick maybe isn't as intense at 11 as it is when he's older. I'd put it on the front side not back. Could also depend on his position - what position does he play?

4. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Ryan is 13...my non D son is 11 ;) He plays middie on a 7th/8th grade team and they get pretty intense. Another kid on his team has a pump too and he wears it all the time. Last year I had Ryan remove his, but am seriously thinking about keeping it on, his #s just go nuts without it. I haven't really discussed it with the endo.

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Dd played lacrosse last year and I had her wear her pump but reduce the basal. This worked better than no basal for us. (The games were a series of Round Robins that lasted 3 hours.) I usually did 60% for the duration. (She wears a CGMS so it was helpful to be able to see what the activity was doing to the BG)

Of course girls lacrosse is very different, so I didn't have to worry about her getting checked and the effect on the pump.

I would add it is a good idea to check the tubing for bubbles a few hours after the practice or game.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie leaves her on - she's a defender and plays pretty rough, and true, the girls wear no body protection and we've had no issues with the pump ,but it is a different game from the boys version ;)

But if she had it off she'd be insanely high between the adrenalin and the lack of basal :rolleyes:

Best of luck!

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Aha - I saw all those 11's, and I thought he was 11. Of course it can still be rough! I'd be inclined to try playing with the pump on. Maybe run it by your endo too for ideas and possibility of reducing the basal if that would be best, etc...

You can always make a change back. As far as placement, my ds hasn't been hit in the back as a middie, but just last week an attack player was cross-checked in his ribs. I guess that's higher than where the pump would be.

Go middies! :D

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Manning will wear his pump but he has the Omnipod. I did buy a protective arm band for when he wears it there.

My son coaches HS lacrosse and his goalie is type 1 and wears a pump, I will ask him what he is doing with it. I think he said he was going to wear it but has a protective pad.

9. joan

joan Approved members

We also live in NJ and my son plays lacrosse. He is untethered so gets lantus at night. Now when he has practice he can take his pump off and forgetaboutit.. We have found that he is getting much less insulin since lacrosse started even though he just stopped playing hockey. Good luck on your season.

10. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Thanks....I've decreased the basals too. Why would you check the tubing for bubbles? I mean I know why to check for bubbles...but does lax increase bubbles????

11. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I got him a MM sports case for his pump and it seems to be pretty good so far, he keeps it on his waist. Lax is pretty rough, I am nervous with it on, but so far today his #s have been good. Fingers crossed...oh and yeah Go middies:D

12. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Interesting :rolleyes: Ryan wears all his regular lax padding but is there something out there especially made to protect the pump?????

13. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Go NJ :D We're in the north/eastern part of the state...where are you?
    It's amazing how much of a decrease in his insulin when he plays sports.:)