- advertisement -

Kiwi Introductions

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwikid, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

hi Kim, don't have face book, but might try on my ancient computer to look you up. Can you PM me your cell # so I can call or text on the day to say high.

I might try to find my CWD back pack so you might find me by looking for my back.

Righto, anyone else wanting to meet up should PM me #'s too.

2. amber3cs

amber3cs Approved members

Hi everyone,
    my name's anne we live just north of wellington. my son was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and we think he is just starting the "honeymoon period". he is 4 and it breaks my heart to see him go through all of this.
    we are all still a bit stunned at the moment, one day we can't seem to give him enough insulin and the next we are back-pedalling. tonight is the first night in 5 weeks we haven't had to give him any insulin as he has been sooo low in the mornings.
    we have 2 other children, 1 older and 1 younger.
    we have had great support from the hospital in lower hutt and can't say enough good things about the diabetic nurses, but we don't know anyone else with children who are type 1 but we are meeting up with some families this week so we are all very excited!:D
    hope you have all had a peaceful and "uneventful" new year.

amber3cs

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Anne - its nice to meet you :cwds: You've found a great place here for support and information. Great that you feel you have a good team of medical support too. On the main page of CWD under "mailing lists" you can join the NZ/Aus email list for info as well :cwds:

It doesn't sound as though your New Year has been "peaceful and uneventful", but diabetes does get easier - though probably NOT less frustrating :rolleyes: Those low mornings can be very scary!

Hopefully we'll hear more from you.
    Take Care :cwds:

4. amber3cs

Thanks Jane- I have been on the mailing list for a couple of weeks but am still learning my way around this site so hadn't been onto the forums till last night. It has definitely been a scary time for all of us.
    My eldest(6yr old) thought he could catch diabetes by drinking out of a glass that his brother had drunk out of( we don't encourage them to share drinks:) )- here we were thinking we'd done a great job of explaining things to him. Oh well I guess a lot of it comes with time.
    take care:cwds:

5. Alpha

Alpha Approved members

Hi Anne,

just stopping in, it's the same Alpha from EBB :) *waves* must catch up soon :)

ILl e-mail / call soon :)

6. Scotty

Scotty Approved members

Hi Anne. Welcome to the forums. You've found a great place here for information and support. These early days can be difficult, but just take each day as it comes, it does get easier.

7. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

Hi Anne,
    Welcome to the forum. Hubby and I were stunned when Dylan was first dx'd, it hit me the hardest, but it does get easier, although I wouldn't have thought that the first few days, it does.

Take care, and any questions feel free.

Kim

8. Ivan's Mum

Hi ya, Ivan was DX 5 days before his 5th birthday. He's 6.5 now and it's amazing how well he deals with it all.

Don't forget that your local library will have a wealth of information for you, and will often order in books for you if you want to read them. Mine purchased 'think like a pancreas, sweet kids and T1 Diabetes for me.

It will be a rollercoaster for a while so hold on tight and share the load.

9. amber3cs

Hi everyone, thanks for all your support. It's nice to know there are others out there who are going through similar stuff.
    Quick question- we have had a lot more highs and lows since honeymoon started but have noticed cam's behaviour has been A LOT worse when he is hi. wasn't sure if this was typical as he has always been a bit volatile in the tantrum department!:D
    Any advice glady accepted.
    Thanks

10. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi Anne
    Welcome to the club we wished we didn't belong to!
    Our son Tyler is 12 and was diagnosed a month after his 11th birthday, so just over a year ago. Totally out of the blue, with no family history of type 1 but lots of type 2 and several autoimmune diseases.
    Tyler gets very aggressive when he is high. Not physically but verbally. (Always been a bit volatile!)
    Life with Diabetes is like one big roller coaster ride! Lots of twists and turns, ups and downs. Sometimes you just have to sit back and go for a ride!
    Look forward to 'seeing' you around.

11. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Hi
    My names Stacie, and I'm in Palmerston North. I've been on the email list for a while but I just found this part of the forum on the weekend. Great to hear from people in our area of the world.
    Phillip is 11 and was dxd in Jan 2005, 4 weeks before he turned 8. He's always been really good at handling the d stuff.
    I'm a solo mum so do all his care myself, as well as dealing with his younger sister, Shanaiah, 9, who has some health issues herself.

12. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hey Stacie

Welcome to our 'club'.

We lived in the huge metropolis of Bulls for 6 years but moved up here to Auckland nearly 4 years ago. Only here because of Carl's career! Chances are we will be moved back to Bulls when Whenuapai airbase closes some time this century!

Look forward to hearing from you.

13. VickyA

VickyA Approved members

Hi

I'm Vicky, just joined the forum. I live in Christchurch with Alan and my three boys :)

My son, Finlay was born this April without a pancreas and so has been diagnosed with permanent neonatal diabetes. Not strictly speaking Type 1 but has the same symptons. He started pumping at just two weeks. It certainly has been a huge learning curve for us (and still is!) and he certainly keeps us on our toes!!

14. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hey Vicky

Nice to 'meet' you! Sorry you had to join.
    I am not even going to pretend to know the ins and outs of your position, but it sounds like Finlay is as close to Type 1 as anyone can get!
    I read in the other introductions about his other problems and his surgery. Hope he is doing ok.

Hope to see you round often.
    Debs

15. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Great to "meet" you all - didn't realise there were so many kiwis on here. New to forum - old to diabetes - well it seems it anyway (3+ years). I am in Christchurch. Already "spoken" with Vicky - look forward to meeting the rest of you in due course.

16. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi Kiwiliz

Nice to 'meet' you too! It would be great if we could have a big get together one day and at least get to know each other properly.

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Vicki, Hi Liz - its nice to meet you both :cwds:

18. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

Hi Vicky and Liz, nice to "meet" you both. There are a few of us kiwi's here, but its always good to have some more.

19. Ivan's Mum

Hi ya, good to read about you. I had heard from someone is CHC that there was a child born without a pancreas if you need any help or advice you will find a great bunch of people around who can share a wealth of information.

See you around.

20. KiwiMike

KiwiMike Approved members

Hi I'm Mike,

My 3 year old son Ryan is a Type 1 (Diagnosed at 18 months).
    We are using an Animas Pump.

We are actually Ex Pat Kiwis since we are now living in Colorado USA (Were in Christchurch just before we moved here last year) Finding that diabetes is treated very different over here (no where near as good as NZ) and am very thankful for the Christchuch Diabetes unit and all the training they gave us

Have been working on a personal project to help with carb counting, and hopefully will be sending some to Auckland and Christchurch Diabetes units sometime in the future for evaluation (Beta Testing).
    I entered it in the following competion
    See http://www.mypic32.com/
    If the competion is over (in the very near future) info will be at the following link.
    http://www.carbcounter.com

Mike