- advertisement -

Kitchen remodel

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

After years of talking about it, we are finally making the plunge and having our kitchen remodeled (ugh and all windows in house replaced). We are getting rid of our dining room and making one big kitchen/eating area. So, I will be completely without a real functioning work area. I am setting up a camp style kitchen in another room.

Any suggestions from those who have gone through a remodel?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We were without our kitchen from June-Jan when we redid the house. Will yours be over the winter?

Will you have access to a sink? Probably that was the worst part. We had a sink for the first half then ran into plumbing issues and that made everything so much harder.

I used the grill, a lot. ;) And a cheap electric kettle came in handy, too. I did buy a good, large toaster oven which carried over into the new kitchen and that was probably a good investment.

It's hard, but worth it in the end.:cwds:

3. Beach bum

Yes, it's starting Jan. 6:eek: My only access to the sink will probably be the tub :eek:

Weather permitting, I will be using the grill, we have the microwave and I'm borrowing a hot plate. I have an electric fry pan so pancakes and eggs may also be on the menu. As long as the toaster oven holds out, we'll have that too. I figure rotisserie chicken and crock pot foods will be our best friend. LOL, wish we had a place like Stew's around here, I'd be buying their dinners!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Yeah, the tub thing will make you nuts. Once our sink went the quality of our meals declined precipitously.:rolleyes:

Perhaps you can do one day a week of real cooking at a friend's kitchen and at least get a few real meals made for reheating in the microwave? The cooking won't be so bad, but the cleanup from cooking will be worse than you imagine.

And I'd get the kettle - I think mine was 10 bucks, and having a quick way to make a lot of hot water at once helped a lot. ;)

5. Beach bum

That's what I'm hoping. My friend joked that when she had hers done, she could have cared less about world ecology for a few months! I'm stocking up on paper products.
    I am asking for the kettle for Christmas. Even though we have a Kuerig, I hate how you can taste coffee in your tea (even though we clean it daily, you still get a few stray grounds).

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

when we did ours, we were able to actually move our stove into our basement. It made all the difference. The contractor said we were the first person to ever ask to have that done. It seemed like a no-brainer to me. The electical attaches in the basement and it just needed to be pulled through the floor during the gutting. We have a large sink down there too. Often, a contractor will be able to hook up a temp sink for you, so you can ask that. It's not an unusual request. So, those two things made things so much better for me.

We pulled our fridge into our temp space and then used the microwave and Foreman grill a lot.

7. Beach bum

Lucky! The builder was willing to move the stove into another room on the first floor, but that would be the office/kids homework area. It would take up half the room. I think back to my grandfathers house where my grandmother had her "frying" kitchen. Meaning, it was a kitchen in the basement where she would make fried foods, head cheese (yep) and pigs feet! If only I had a set up like than…minus the head cheese and pigs feet!

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I have no advice, but I'm very jealous! I would love to remodel the kitchen. Good Luck!

9. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely stock up on paper and plastic products, including hot cups for your coffe, tea or soup.
    We luckily did ours over the summer, so we used the grill a lot. We also had our toaster, water kettle, coffee maker, microwave and crockpot in the family room.
    As Sarah said, losing the sink is the worst part.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

In addition to the things mentioned above, we also moved our refrigerator into our make shift kitchen. I have a great soup recipe using rotisserie chicken that you could do in the crockpot easily. Let me know if you want it. Also a great bean recipe. Crockpots are great, and if you used a liner, there would be no clean up.

11. Beach bum

I am the crockpot queen! I use roatiserrie chicken for soups when in a hurry, but it will be then norm now! Didn't think about the liners, great idea.

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Crock pot liners! You can also wrap individual portions in foil before placing in your crock pot. This will cut down on everything becoming soupy and makes cleanup easier. We used a large rubbermaid storage tote in our bathtub along with a hand held sprayer and paper plates of all sizes. You can still use your outside grill. Put a plastic runner down in your temporary kitchen because your floor will take a beating.

13. Beach bum

Thanks for all the helpful hints!

I'm dreading this, but am also so excited to finally get a logically functioning kitchen! LOL, waiting for the day where our hall coat closet no longer has to be our pantry!:D

14. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have a basement so we were able to set up shop down there. We had a refrigerator down there but not a stove. We set up a crock pot area that we used for meals. We also had a microwave. The laundry area sink served it's purpose for water supply. And truthfully, when I was at my wits end and crying because my house was tore up and I just wanted my kitchen back....friends brought over meals!! I love my new kitchen but I don't think I could survive another remodel!

15. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Plastic ware and fresh fruit are your friends.

Now, about the kitchen itself my wife's one request was the double oven and mine was the indoor grill. We both love them both.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

How's it going, Beach Bum? You all surviving? ;-)