- advertisement -

Kinked Cannula

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mum2Liv, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Mum2Liv

Mum2Liv Approved members

Hi there ...
    I'm looking for feedback from others' experience.

We are Canadian but lived in California for several years - while there my daughter (13) was lucky enough have her D care through Stanford Children's Hospital. When we started out, she was using Silhouette sites - but I eventually couldn't stand the screaming over site changes. Dr. Buckingham changed us over to Sure T's and we've been happy ever since.

When we returned to Canada, our D nurse wanted us to change over to the Quick Set or MIO so that my daughter could do her own site changes. She won't do the Sure T's. We tried the Quick Set and had a terrible high from a kinked cannula (the pump doesn't alarm when this happens) complete with ketones and a lot of stress. So we quietly returned to the Sure T's.

Last visit, the D nurse insisted we try MIO. So my daughter did one in the office and off we went. That night she had a terrible high (vomiting, tears - just awful!), ketones and we discovered a kinked cannula again. Back we went to the Sure T. Then the nurse INSISTED we try the MIO again because the Sure T's are OUTDATED technology (are they really?). So we tried again ...

After several weeks of success, we had a terrible time two nights ago. Hideous. Ketones. In eight years of diabetes, my daughter has NEVER had ketones. But due to these sites which apparently don't work for her we've now done this to her.

Has anyone had this experience? What is your view of Sure T's? I am just quietly going to continue with the Sure T's and fight the battle at the next appt. Or I may call her endo who is out of town but comes for clinics to find out her input.

I'm totally upset about the obvious health ramifications - and what's worse, I feel like this nurse is not looking at the big picture and what will work best for us.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It is none of the nurse's business what sites you use. You don't say how old your daughter is, but is there really a pressing need at this point for her to be able to change her own sites? If not, stick with the SureTs.

3. Mum2Liv

Mum2Liv Approved members

Thanks hawkeygirl - she is 13 and the nurse was pretty insistent that she was in the minority of kids at that age changing their own sites. I didn't feel happy about how that was handled either. :(

Also I realized that I said the other kinked cannula came from the sof-set but it wasn't - it was a Quick Set (my mistake - can't keep them all straight).

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This ^^^

(mts)

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

"WHAT is the nurse's problem? If the girl prefers Sure-Ts, why does the nurse CARE?"

-the wisdom of my 14 year old :D (who has also has several kinks with Mios)

6. Mum2Liv

Mum2Liv Approved members

I totally agree! I wanted to air it here to see if I'm taking things wrong or not accessing advances and professional advice the way I should ...

Prior to us leaving Canada, this was an awkward relationship and I used to go out of town for care. However, they no longer allow it - we have to use the services provided locally. But I think I now have a bit of ammunition to plead our case.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I know plenty of people who use sure-t's for their children and have used them successfully for years. They are not outdated. They're a tool that serves a purpose.

Think of having a tool box at home. You don't use a nail gun when a hammer will work just fine, even though a hammer is "old school."

The more tools you have in that diabetes tool box, the better off you are.

And what the rest said, tell the nurse to mind her own business.

8. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I've never understand why Sure-T's get such a bad rap:confused:. I've always thought there would be some benefit to new pumpers starting with Sure-t's, simply to eliminate the "is it a bad site" question that inevitably comes in the early days of pumping.

For what it's worth, my daughter has been using Sure-T's for 4 yrs and has no interest in switching. She's never put one in by herself. I don't feel the need to push her to do her own either. She has enough to do with the diabetes care that she already takes on, this is something I can and will do for her as long as she needs or wants. I agree, the nurse needs to mind her own business.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:D

9. Dave

Dave Approved members

We only pump because there are SureT's. I would never use a kinker and allow to go into the 400's. We are still using Levimeer for basal (we top it off with a small corrective basal with the pump) to avoid spikes from pump occlusions.

10. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

Are they older? Yes. Are they outdated? No way! They are made for the reason you like them. They don't kink. They are an older set but they have a stunning user base. I switch from Quicksets to Sure-T's for a change. But yeah if you like them for her, and she doesn't mind them, don't let anyone dissuade you from using them.

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

I use the contact detach sets (the Animas version of the Sure Ts). I've found that I can't use the sets with plastic cannulas because the sites get all itchy and gross within a day. Steel sets for me.

They work just fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it? :rolleyes:

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have had some problems with kinked cannulas. It seems to happen more often on stomach sites than arm or leg sites. Just a thought.

I would not even fight it at the next appt. I would just say "okay. We'll try it." And leave it at that. Then keep doing what works. It's not like you're neglecting her care.

My 11 year old will do his own sure T sites so it can be done, if she is interested in trying it herself. If not that's fine too. So what if "most" 13 year olds do their own sites. If yours doesn't, what's the big deal?