- advertisement -

kindergarten problems

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AddisannsMom08, Oct 2, 2013.

1. AddisannsMom08

AddisannsMom08 Approved members

My daughter has the same nurse in kindergarten as she did last year in pre k. We had a few issues last year but I am feeling overwhelmed this year.
    First off she kept telling us she didn't need a 504 plan for kindergarten, which I know lots of others who have had them. She also "lectures" me on what foods to give MY daughter. I am a type 1, my husband is a type 1....so we kinda got the hang of this.
    The thing that has me upset now is when the nurse isn't there the girl that fills in has no idea how to care for my daughter! 2 weeks ago she was in and Addie never gives herself her injections. She helps but thats it. The sub nurse told her to "put it in" so she did and of course insulin came out (she pulled it out too fast). I called the next day to complain bc her sugar was in the 300's when she came home. I get a call today from the nurse saying pretty much my daughter lied. Their story is my daugher grabbed the shot and put it in before they sub nurse could stop her! I mean really?!? Also that same sub nurse sent her by herself with a sugar of 41 to the cafeteria to stand in line to get her food. No Juice, no tablets, no assistance.
    I am very thankful that she has a nurse at school but wish she understood more. She has said the my daughter has "lied" about her care more than once and is always telling me what to do.
    Ugh....had to vent alittle...hope that is ok.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You need a 504. Do you know who coordinates them for your school? If not call the principal and ask. It's often a guidance counselor.

Do you have a medical management plan on file with the school? It should all be clearly spelled out - who gives injections, at what dose, how it's documented etc etc.

Sorry you are having such a rough time. And I can't believe the nurse is advising and instructing about food! Does she know that both you and your husband have Type 1??

3. AddisannsMom08

Yes, we do have a medical plan. Thats what is so upsetting. Its right there in black and white for them.
    Yes, she is aware of us having type 1.
    I know she gets tired of me.....she usually responds with "what happened now"? But our daughter comes first. I feel that unless diabetes has "hit" your family its hard to really understand.....even if you are a nurse.

4. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I am not in any ways saying you should need to do the following suggestion, as I feel that a school should provide a very adequate nurse whom has children't best interest at heart along with an understanding of how children behave. But...Do you have any adult available (or yourself) that can volunteer for a few hours for a few days a week at your daughter's school? Even if not permanently maybe getting the nurse to see that you have people that are available to answer questions, assist if necessary AND make sure your daughter's best interests are being cared for might make the nurse take the task more positive and serious. I think a 504 is a must and explain that it is for all the people at the school's safety for your child to have a 504 in place, it helps the teachers, staff, substitutes, bus drivers, recess/lunchroom workers, EVERYBODY. Sometimes I think if we put things in a way that make others see that we aren't trying to force something on them that is a burden, but rather makes things more concrete, straightforward and more simplier for all it helps. Lastly, if nothing works offer in a very pleasant way to get a diabetes advocate out to talk with the nurse/school administrator. My comment went something like this, "if you feel like this is too difficult to handle right now I can help you by getting a diabetes advocate on board, they will help get the 504 in place and allow you to see that these are necessary steps my child needs to have met in order to be safe and successful at school. What do you think?" It is not a threat, just an offer :)
    I hope you find a way to make this work, I can't imagine having such issues and truly hope you find a supportive administrator, teacher, somebody there to make this work out :)

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would schedule a meeting with the sub, the nurse and the principal and review exactly what you want done to care for your daughter.

6. AddisannsMom08

Thank you all so much. We have a meeting at the school Monday and I plan to go in for awhile mid day to "assist" :)

7. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

i made a cheat sheet for the school that is a very simple version of the care plan that is in his file and included the times for each day they are suppose to test time and what to do if the readings are between certain numbers - so far it has worked great

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

First, I would ask them for the documentation of that day. If it not written down it did not happen.

Second, it is more important thing. If you want a 504 then you should get one.

We did not have a 504 for half day kinder, but I was available to be there , and was there on any day with food and drink or extra activities.

Third, the way I read your post was that you called to find out " what happened" because when your dd. got home she was in the 300's. This maybe a bit confrontational?

I would totally ask them to call you and let you know when anything happens that may cause odd bgs or higher that wanted bgs, like the self injection or a bolus not given because the ratio was not met.