- advertisement -

Kids ignoring Dexcom alerts?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, May 16, 2014.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

Anybody got a fix for that? DS1 is 10 and in 4th grade. He just came into the office for a regular check in and was 45. The Dexcom was reading 43. It clearly alarmed but DS ignored it. He does that a lot. Why? Mostly because he is VERY flaky (confirmed diagnosis of ADHD). We're working on having him respond to alarms.

Aside from that, what else can we do to make sure that his alarms are attended to promptly in a school setting?

TIA!

Jen

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I guess you could have him leave the receiver somewhere away from his body. My daughter's like a ninja - she's so quick to clear dexcom alarms on the first vibrate if she's wearing it. If it's in her purse across the room, then I actually hear it beep. If he had to leave it on a windowsill or something, he'd have to get up to clear the alarm and there would be that perceived idea that he should be "doing something" about that low alarm so that he probably would.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm finding my daughter definitely has selective hearing when it comes to the Dex:wink: Is there any way to program it to jump off the desk and knock them in the head? Kind of like the V-8 commercials???

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Let me know when you figure this out!

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

same problem here. And the low insulin/change pod alert goes off for hours as well.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel has the Dex running through her Vibe pump - I'd like to program it to give her a wee shock instead of just an alarm.... ..

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

sign us up for that as well
    :wink:

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Second in line, please!

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

*snort*

When Jack had the MM pump/CGM, other kids would rat him out. "Jack, you're beeping! Mrs. Bahling, Jack is beeping!" But since the Dex vibrates first (HATE this "feature") he can clear it and no one is the wiser. I have to say that he's usually pretty good about not ignoring the alarm, but there are days....

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Dex share can't come soon enough!

11. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

Yes, it happens daily at school especially. I hope she'll come to understand the importance of letting an adult know as time goes by.

12. mocha

mocha Approved members

I admit...I sometimes ignore Bubbles (my Dex), especially in the wee hours of the morning or when I'm busy. It's not that I don't want to take action. It's that my eyelids look super awesome or that I figure I can treat whatever problem after I finish my train of thought. It's not like diabetes is going anywhere. :wink:

And there are times too when I'm hovering right at the line (80 or 180 for me), and it alarms every five minutes. All I want to do at that point is stab the receiver so it will shut it. I know already, okay? It's not like we need to bring in the swat team because I keep "bouncing" between 81 and 79. So I keep ignoring the alarm until it stops or until I finally feel the need to fix it.

But then my arrogance gets to me and I have to remind myself that I wouldn't have been 30 if I had just grabbed the jar of tabs back when I was 60 and paid attention. Low brain doesn't help either (where logic flies out the window and everything you know that you're supposed to do is on the tip of your tongue, and even though you feel miserable, you can't bring yourself to even remember how to logic).

It could be a case of "it's embarrassing to interrupt class with diabetes". Or maybe it's a case of information overload. Or it could be a "screw you, I'm ignoring you, diabetes" day.

13. shannong

shannong Approved members

At home, his brother always rats him out and comes to get me. My son almost always ignores both the vibrating and the alarm at home, especially when he is playing video games. But thankfully he has a brother that loves to tell on him. At school, my son is very vigilant with both lows and responding to alarms. I wonder if part of it is that at school there is no nurse or anyone who does the care for him. He does call me whenever he needs to. His teacher and myself are to be made aware if he is having a low. But he can go ahead and treat the low and then call and let me know what is happening. I have found that sometimes making things less of a hassle for him (like going ahead and giving himself treatment if he feels low) seems to make him more responsible. When he is at home and knows I will do everything, he totally checks out.

14. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My son, 9th grade, ADHD/Aspergers, also clears his high/low alarms. The difference between this and a lot of the other kids, is that he doesn't realize he did it. A lot of these comments seem to be the person is doing it intentionally, and three hours later, will be aware they cleared it. My son isn't. He'll test at lunch, his sensor will say 170, and I'll ask him "why didn't you test when your high alarm went off at 150?" And he'll get really upset, and swear up and down that he did not know he did that. I've seen him do it at home. I'll be right next to him while he's on the computer or reading, and his alarm will go off. Without looking, he takes his pump out, clears the alarm, puts it back, and goes back to what he's doing, never having moved his eyes from the screen/page. So I'll wait 30 seconds, and I'll say "are you going to do anything about that?" And he'll say "about what?" So I say "Your high alarm just went off." And he says "It did? No it didn't. (Checks pump history) I didn't hear that!! When did I clear that? How did I do that?!"

We just had a meeting at the school, and the teachers are going to try to ask him if he texted me *if* they hear the alarm. We can't make the teachers stand next to him, so it's nice they're offering to do that. A private aid that follows him around would be nice, but I don't see that happening at the high school level.