- advertisement -

Kids and the economy...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've been thinking a lot about how much Maddie is overhearing my DH and I talking about the economy. So far, my DH's job seems pretty secure but that doesn't stop her from hearing us talk about the Big Picture and the overall state of flux. Granted some good talks about how markets work, or should work have resulted, but I remember very well the recession and inflation of the 70's when I was her age and how stressed my mom got about money. So, how much do you think your kids are thinking about the economy and how are you talking with them about it?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

my kids, probably not much. Reason being - we had no money to begin with ..so we really haven't felt any pinch from this recession at all. LOL. Given that dh will always have a job with the army we're just not that worried at this point.

I do however save more than I used to, just in case. So they're hearing a lot more "no" as far as spending lately.

3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Well, since my situation has changed drastically I have told Kelton that we will be cutting back expenses, no more impulse shopping. But Kelton is 16 and I have been having him learn how to pay bills and to keep the checkbook balanced.

He now understands that bills and medical items come first.

4. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Money has been tight in our house for sometime now (I won't get into the nitty gritty details) Unfortunately DH and I never seem to have any time without kids present to "discuss" money matters and the kids often overhear our "discussions". So I think Tyler is aware that you can't always get everything that you want, and that there are sometimes hard choices to make. IE - A week long trip to disney or sports year round....
    He also knows that I don't buy a snack food that isn't on sale at the grocery store....snacks for that week are whatever has a sale sign on it.

Funny side note- Tyler asked the other day if Lepracauns (sp) were real or if I put the quarters in his shoes every St. Patricks Day...I asked him what he thought and he said he didn't think they were real, of course I was thinking okay, here goes Santa etc.....but nope he goes on to say "I know Santa is still real, and believe in him, because I know you could never buy all those presents";)

5. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

my kids don't think about it, they still think money grows on trees!