- advertisement -

Kids and carb counting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jun 3, 2010.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

So today was our follow up endo appt post diagnosis (well, we had one at 3 weeks, but we were still in lala land then). We brought up pumping and had a good discussion with the CDE about all our options. She thought he was doing awesome, so that was nice feedback.

The MD though, pretty well ragged on my son for not knowing his carb values just off the top of his head, she specifically couldn't believe he didn't know rice or beans (he hates rice and rarely eats beans!) and she was not impressed that he didn't know in ounces how much juice or milk was (he does know in cups though).

So now I'm curious how many CWD out there know this stuff just by memory. He knows bread, hamburger buns, tortillas, and he definitely knows his free foods and many fruits. Stuff he eats daily in and out. But, yeah, he does rely on me for a lot of his carb counting, and I still look stuff up all the time. He has an app on his ipod that he uses all the time with friends and away from home.

The MD just made me feel like I was enabling him, but we're only 4 months into this, we're still learning! Yeah, I realize he is going to be without me more and more as the years go by, but I don't see what's wrong with using his ipod rather than memorizing (she said "but what if your batteries are bad?). I look stuff up all the time, either online or in one of my books, because I believe in being thorough. I often am fairly certain of my guess, but I verify. She thinks he should know it for when he's not at home and without access to me or his ipod.

I tag recipes in the fridge with carb counts, he knows how to read packages, and he does know the more common foods he eats daily. But he didn't know beans...or that 4 ounces is half a cup...or pasta (I actually thought that was a stupid question...pastas vary hugely!!).

So here's my question: is this stuff that most CWD memorize and never look up and is it wrong to not expect him to have this information in his head already? He is 15, and quite frankly a bit spacey and hormonal.

Here's my BRAG: A1C is 5.9!!! WhooHOO!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh was just diagnosed this past march, so we don't have everything memorized either. In fact i think it's ridiculous for the MD to expect your son to have carbohydrates memorized only 4 months after diagnosis. Especially on foods your son doesn't even eat!

3. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

Oh my,,,,,i remember when we were 4 months into it. Our daughter was 15 when diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. And now -yes she knows most (or can give a pretty good guess) on carb count, but we all still need to look it up once in awhile. We are still learning and we have been at it for a while. 4 months is not long enough to get used to the idea of diabetes, let alone the counts of everything they eat. Hang in there - you will get there. Labels on food is good - never thought of that one. Thanks for the tip. Good luck with everything!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Dr has unreasonable expectations, imo. ;)

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Agreed. It takes time for a child that age to remember all the carb counts. Heck, it takes time for a Mom my age to remember all the carb counts:rolleyes: Fantastic A1C by the way:) Tell you son that hes doing just fine

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If his A1C is 5.9 without significant lows, you're both doing BRILLIANTLY and there is no need to change anything. Who cares if he knows the values of the top of his head if the D is managed okay? Surely you would get just as good control if you looked the values up every time as if you had memorised them?

ETA: I do know carb counts of almost everything I eat by memory, but that's because I'm weird and remember numbers just like that. And, guess what, my A1C is a large amount higher than your son's. Knowing carb counts off by heart is not the key to good control, by any means.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Your endo definitely has unreasonable expectations. There's a few I know off the top of my head but only because we have them all the time. I hope she doesn't use his lack of memorization as grounds for refusing to sign off on a pump.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Sam still looks up things in calorie king every once in awhile and he's been pumping for over 3 years.

It is Unreasonable to expect him to have everything memorized at this point!!

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ditto!
    Next time just say he knows them all, but doesn't like to show off.:D

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Ditto!

At 15 he has far more interesting things to memorize....sports scores, video game cheats, girls cell numbers etc. :rolleyes::p (just kidding!)

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Even my husband who has been dx with t1d for 20 years still looks things up. I think that's being pretty efficient, I'd rather that then him guess or only eat a small variety of foods because that's all he has memorized.
    What's the point in being told you can eat anything then being told you must know each carb count from memory. That is just weird. I do know that certain ones become automatic due to their frequency of use, but not EVERYTHING.
    I say give yourself and your son a pat on the back. you deserve it.

12. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Why would that be grounds for not getting a pump? I think it would help, at least with the Animas it has a food data base that can be customized to all his fave foods. ;)
    I think Omnipod has one as well, but someone with the pod would know for sure.

I, for one, have no doubt I'll never have ALL carb counts memorized. Just too many foods and variables. That's why the Calorie King is so popular. :D

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I think its ridiculous too!! It takes time to know carbs in foods..its a learning process...and soon he will know..but not in 4 mos...geees... Im sorry Mom that is not fair to your son and that MD gets a big thumbs down...

14. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I agree that the doc is being unreasonable. With an A1c like that, there's absolutely no grounds for complaint about anything! It's an ongoing learning process, and the most important thing is that your son know how to get the information when he needs it, which it sounds like he does. Gotta love those iPod apps!