- advertisement -

Kicked in the stomach

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Trabby, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Trabby

Trabby Approved members

Hi I'm new to the site, but not to diabetes. My 13yr old son was diagnosed January 13/2005. My son is in overall good health. Since puberty set in numbers have been all over the place. Anyhow, we had our 3 month check up last week and it was on a day where my son was not feeling well and had extremely high numbers. No ketones though. Dr decided to do a bit of extra blood work and a urine. Well there was trace protien so we were advised for an early am sample. I have spent the last two days silently beside myself. I was called into clinic this morning to discuss the results. Still protien :( . Dr immediately contacted the ped nephrologist in Calgary and the plan is as follows
    two more early am urines
    24hr specimen Monday
    renal ultrasound is booked

I am devastated, the life has been kicked out of me today. I have measured food, counted carbs and dosed insulin for 6 yrs and I feel I've somehow failed him. I wish I could take the burden of this stupid disease from him.... I don't know what to do other than cry. The dr assured me this could be a lot of things not just diabetes but of course I'm assuming the worst. I'm not sure what I'm asking here.... Maybe just a vent....

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm sorry:(

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hugs, I am so sorry. Praying that the results are from something else.

4. Trabby

Trabby Approved members

Thanks ladies....
    I'm just so overwhelmingly sad...... Since the day he was diagnosed I've had the daily fear that I could lose him.. I can barely talk since this morning, because I'll start bawling. I hate crying! I told him the dr wants to do a couple more urines. For today that's all I'm saying, why because I will not be able to keep myself together. I feel horrible because I haven't told him I was called in today, but as my husband pointed out it will not make things any better for him seeing me meltdown. The dr didn't want him there today just wanted to tell me the protein was there and what the game plan is. She assured me that it isn't an all out emergency, they just need to do their thing :) she also commented that the ped nephrologist wasn't terribly alarmed by the levels. There is apparently many things to cause protein leak... Not knowing is the worst :(

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

This really sucks. This disease really sucks. I would post this in the main parents forum - there are a few other folks whose children have protein in urine and they have success with treatment - I would ask for more info from them...and you in no way, shape, or form failed your child. This disease did.

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm so sorry, and I will certainly be hoping that this is nothing, or at least something minor and simple to deal with.
    I agree with the previous poster, you did not fail your child. Please don't blame yourself.
    Hang in there.:cwds:

7. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I am sorry you are burdened with this news today. There is nothing fair about this disease. I know it is easier to say than do, but please try hard not to expend negative energy beating yourself up over whatever the next tests reveal, he needs you to continue guiding him along. We will all keep you & your son in our thoughts, please let us know what happens.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

There are numerous possible reasons for protein in urine, some of them serious (eg. problems with the kidneys) and some not (eg. exercise and movement).

It will take time to sort what is happening. My motto is always hope for the best, and prepare for the worst by learning everything possible about what is happening.

I pray that this works out ok for you.. :cwds:

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son was in the same situation. He periodically had protein in his urine in the single sample test as a child. The 24 hour test always came back fine. Then at 12, a couple of 24 hour tests came back positive with huge amounts of protein. He was put on an ace inhibitor at 12. After adjusting the dosage, he no longer has protein in his urine. He simply takes a pill everyday, along with his vitamin D pill and an antibiotic for acne.

Getting protein in the urine is no reflection on what you have done to treat his diabetes. You don't have enough information without a couple of 24 hour samples, so hold off on the panic and the sadness.

My son has osteo posturic proteinuria which many children have - even non-diabetics. Evidently, a child who grows quickly has this condition. It means protein is leaked during the day, but not at night. It is more problematic with children with diabetes as they don't want a strain on the kidneys. I have no idea if he will outgrow it or not.

10. Trev

Trev Approved members

Sorry for the news

I have had the same news about 20 yrs ago and was devastated(never progressed to overt proteinuria), and now that I am a Parent of two type 1 kids I feel your distress, this disease sucks. I wish you well, feel free to contact me anytime. I live in St Albert, real close. Take care fellow dad.

11. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

We ALL think the worst when it's our kid that gets sick. You are doing the right thing by making the follow-up appointment and doing the additional checks.

Let's hope you return to this site to tell us that everything turned out fine.

12. LJM

LJM Approved members

I am so sorry. I hope you can find strength to stay steady---but know that your reaction is so like what many of us would feel too.

Praying for a good outcome.

13. Trabby

Trabby Approved members

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. Ive just gotten home from dropping off early am #2. As a mother I wish I could take the wait and see approach, unfortunately I'm preprogrammed with the wait impatiently and worry Software :) we start the 24hr Monday, I assume they'll have results by Wednesday? We have an appointment on Thursday, but I'm hoping if something is bad she will contact me prior? Diabetes sucks ass!!

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I'm sorry you have to worry.

Is your child an athlete by any chance? Only because I always hate protein in my urine when I was a young teenager. I was told it was from being very active (running track). It wasn't uncommon to see in an athlete. Also, you can have protein in one sample and retest a few weeks later and not have it.

I know adding D on top of it, really makes you worry.

15. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I hope it does turn out to be a simple thing, and hopefully you will get the answers you need to move forward.

Hope it isn't serious.

16. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

My son is 16, diagnosed with type 1 at age 10. We had the same exact thing happen. He now sees a ped. nephrologist once a year and is on a low dose of an ace-inhibitor. Perfectly fine now.
    This is what we were told. MANY 'normal' teenagers have protein in their urine during daytime activity. With type 1 teens they can't tell if it's a teen-thing or a type 1 affecting the kidneys. So we have to do a 24-hour urine test. One jug while he's awake, the 2nd jug he pees into when he wakes up. If there is no protein in the nighttime urine, no problem.
    Our son had some protein at night too but not much. The ace-inhibitor works. We do the test twice a year, but only go see the pediatric nephrologist once a year if there is no problem. In the 3 or so years we've been going there, it's gotten to where it is just routine.
    I KNOW how you feel. I truly do. I am so sorry this has to happen to any of our kids.
    It is NOTHING YOU DID OR DID'NT DO!!!!!
    Your son will be okay. Just keep being the good mom that you are.

17. Trabby

Trabby Approved members

Well I've just received the results of two early am urine samples..
    They are both clear of protien!!! Literally so happy I could cry!! They did however tell me that he has a lot if strep, so he's on antibiotics. Dr seemed a bit puzzled by the fact that he doesn't, and has not had a sore throat at all. We go back on Thursday...... So as I breath a huge sigh of relief I really want to thank you all for listening to and understanding my fears. I'm really glad I found these forums :). Thanks

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

We went through this same process and with the same result.

It is very challenging. Glad you're through it. :cwds:

19. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

That's great news! I'm so happy for you, I'm sure this is a big relief.

20. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Wonderful news! So happy for you. :)