- advertisement -

Keytones!

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Courtneyjensen, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Courtneyjensen

Courtneyjensen Approved members

so ive been sick for about a week and lately my blood sugar has been high. i checked my keytones and it said 3.8, i was wondering if that was on the lower side or higher??

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I'm presuming those are blood ketones, which are VERY elevated. Please speak with your parents/guardian and doctor about this NOW. With high blood sugars and elevated ketones, you could be headed for DKA.

Hope you feel better and do not go into DKA. Get help!

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It's an emergency now and the cost is going to be higher the sicker you go in because you'll end up staying longer.
    I suggest testing blood ketones a second time, but if they have stayed above 1.5, it's time to head to the emergency room.

4. Courtneyjensen

my parents are well on board, and yes they are blood keytones. we are not able to contact my diabetic doctor till morning. i have been throwing up but ive been fighting the flu so were not sure the cause.
    we cant head to the hospital either, till later on.

5. Courtneyjensen

I have had dka before. the thing about cost is if the insurance company believes its time to go in then we only have a $500 copay and ten percent of cost. but if we just go with out a drs appointment first it doubles the cost. the is chip insurance

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

7. Courtneyjensen

thanks so much, help me understand better. we just got done at insta care and are being sent up in an ambulance to a childrens hospital. keytones are 4.9 and there meter wont read. now are stupid insurance will help pay now.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad you're getting help. It may not be the 'flu' but DKA.