- advertisement -

Kevin Kline on Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Jun 22, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I don't know if he still is, but he was the National spokesperson for the JDRF Walk to Cure.

3. wildemoose

wildemoose Approved members

Awesome segment. Like you said, it's so refreshing to hear something about T1 without one piece of misinformation. I love how Kevin Kline talked about the lack of sleep that parents get. :)

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

My family gives me their greatest sympathy and respect, but sometimes I'll bet they wonder if I'm just making some of this stuff up. . . we had a distant relative remark once that we don't have to worry so much about Selah's diabetes, essentially we're making too big a deal out of it.

What I liked about this segment is that they said things like "lows that can be life-threatening" and "check bg up to 10 times a day or more" in a matter of fact manner, like these were just the facts that everybody who knows about T1 knows. No drama or pity, but also no backing off from the reality of it, just it is what it is.

5. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

I've always liked Kevin Kline, and his wife Phoebe Cates. He did a good job in the interview.

6. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Kevin Kline became my voice today to the friend that told me I do too much for Tyler, leave him to deal with it, he is our excuse for not going out and having fun (that would be money actually), I need therapy and I look like "a bag of sh*t"...yep, she said that. :eek:

He did a fantastic job speaking for me :)

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Both Kline and Kowalski did very well (especially given the ditzy interruptions).

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yea, I loved how one woman brought up her type 2 relative and that was just totally ignored. They were talking about type 1 lady!

9. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yeah, but at least she specified type 2. So many people don't, as we all know.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

It was a great interview. What I found interesting is how hard it was for Kevin as a parent to actually say "you can die from low blood sugar". The highs are better understood I believe by the public; the lows not so much. :eek:Ali

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

It was overall an awesome segment, but I get sick of people mentioning CGMS as an alternative to fingersticks.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Funny how people can interpret things differently--I thought Kevin Kline was measured in his description--that with CGM one didn't need to do a fingerstick every time one wanted to check BG, not that one would not need to do any fingersticks again.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

14. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

They both got all the Info right because Kline Is a parent to a Type 1 and Kowalski has type 1. Very refreshing to hear type 1 portrayed the way it is. Finally :)

15. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

It was a great interview, but I'll tell you what I took away from it, and where it got a real cheer -- it's when the interviewer said that the AP concept sounded great and all that, but what about a cure?! :) I couldn't care less about the AP, don't see that in my DDs future ever, but a cure? Absolutely, for all our kids. :cwds:

16. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

17. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

I worry there will never be a cure because of all the money diabetes makes for pharmaceutical companies. What is their motivation to find a cure if they will lose out on billions. They don't have the best interest of our children at heart, just their wallets and it hurts my heart.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, the pharmaceutical companies aren't searching for a cure. That's not their job.

19. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

wow! what a friend!

I agree, he did fantastic!

20. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My family does think this, and they've told me so. I've posted the interview on my FB as well, HOPING that they will finally LISTEN and know that I am NOT crazy, I am NOT losing it, etc. :cwds: