- advertisement -

Ketones (starvation and hyperglycemia-related) - Any studies on...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StillMamamia, Jun 14, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

why some people get them more than others, despite being vigilant and adjusting doses?

Also, any studies on how quickly they do appear on those prone to them?

Hope I made sense.

Thanks.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Interesting question. I'm having a boring day, so I'll start looking for studies. :p

Personally, I rarely get ketones from high BG. But I develop very large amounts of starvation ketones.. One day I only ate about 50g carbs in the day and then the next day I didn't really eat anything until midday, and when I checked ketones they were large, the strip just turned purple! I was shocked because I generally don't get ketones too easily. At dx though, the stick just turned almost black as soon as she did the dipstick test, and the ketones didn't clear for about a week and a half. That is interesting to me, because although my BGs were still high at that point, I was definitely getting insulin, and I would have expected to stop producing ketones more quickly than that. I was still losing weight at that point as well, though.

3. StillMamamia

Thanks.:D My laptop crashed, so I'm using a Flinstone pc, and it is SLOW.

Ian gets ketones just by me thinking about them.:rolleyes: I know, in the past, I was just not aggressive enough, but now I am and really vigilant, and it's incredible how fast he gets them. It's not often though, thankfully, but it puts a dent in my self-D-confidence.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Not a study, and not really anything to do with the question :p but I found this article about ketones: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003585.htm, which lists the causes of ketones.

I've heard about glucagon and epinephrine raising ketone levels, but not growth hormone. That seems interesting, and makes me wonder why growing kids don't generally have ketones more often. Unless it just doesn't produce a significant amount when it's present at normal levels.. :confused:

Wondering slightly why burns can cause ketones? :confused: Hmm.

Okay, now I'll attempt to find a study which actually answers the question. Got a little sidetracked there. :p

5. allisa

allisa Approved members

I find this post very interesting as my son has never gotten ketones from being high...only from sickness & starvation.

We had several horrible nights/mornings of starvation ketones....undetected lows in the night.....figured it out from this site what was going on ;) and hadn't had any in a couple of years....just had on Sunday morning :(

6. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

On MDI we checked Logan every single day for about a month when waking up for Ketones and every single day he had them. Anywhere from 0.8 up to 2.4 depending on the day. He was not sick at all. He just had Ketones every day when he woke. The higher they were the more "extra" Novolog we had to give to get rid of them as well as counteract his morning "rise" (he used to start to have his BG numbers rise as soon as he woke up and started moving around. Still does but we have a higher basal set for that period to counteract it now that we are pumping). By his next check 2 hours later they were generally back at 0 or signifigantly lower depending on what our starting # was.

We have not tried the experiment since starting pumping so if I think about it I need to pull out a box of strips and maybe do a weeks worth of mornings to see if he still gets them with pumping.

7. MichS

MichS Approved members

Do you think that the reason some people are more insulin resistant in the morning might be because of "starvation" ketones? This just occured to me. Would you worry about ketones in the morning if bg was in range? Are starvation ketones a problem?

FYI my husband and I did the "Protein Power Plan" diet about 10 years ago and we both lost a lot of weight. The goal was to eat 30 carbs or less every day which would put you in ketosis. We tested pee strips and tried to burn fat by producing ketones. At the time we were happy to see ketones. Now it seems ridiculous. What do you think?

8. StillMamamia

That's happened to us sometimes. Usually it meant he was running high for a good part of the night. Luckily we got that sorted out. But we did find those morning ketones cleared up much faster than ketones appearing later in the day.