- advertisement -

Ketone Testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vallecito93, Jan 3, 2008.

1. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

I have seen on a few threads about testing for ketones and I was just wondering if this is something you are suppose to do often? I was under the impression I only tested DD for ketones if she has been running high for a few days. Also is there 2 ways of testing for them? Urine and blood. I saw that somewhere too. Thanks for your help.

2. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Yes, there are 2 ways of testing for them, blood being the most accurate. There is only one meter that tests for ketones. It is the precision extra meter. Do not be confused as this meter will also test blood glucose as well as ketones. There is another thread right now with this link to a free precision meter.
    http://iw.rtm.com/adc-precisionxtra2/index.asp?code=h4gy9
    You also test for ketones not just when your DD is high for a few days. If she is ill, even with a cold she could have ketones present. If she has a flu type illness, vomiting and/or low blood sugars, ketones are very often present.

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

If you have a blood ketone meter it's far easier to test, so you're more likely to do it. Especially when the kid is sleeping!!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

the blood ketones are more accurate and upto date.. the urine ones take a while to show.. also we check anytime we have a number over 250, any time she's sick or high for prolonged periods of time..

5. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

I don't test for ketones that often. Unfortunately we see numbers over 250 more than I'd like so if I see a high like that I just correct it. When I go to test again and it's still not down then I correct a bit more aggressively. If it's high a 3rd time then I get the Ketone blood meter out. It will measure the ketones immediately. The urine dip sticks are about 4 hours behind. So if you get a positive result with that it might have been ketones that were present hours ago and now gone. This happened to us once when I used a urine stick first thing in the morning. When I re-tested right after with the blood meter it was negative.

But the official protocol for highs is you are supposed to test anytime you see a number at 240 or above (is what our endo told us).

6. jendean

jendean Approved members

The precision is really nice. I like it because Nolan does not have to walk around with a cup of pee at school. :cwds:

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Some test more often for ketones, others don't. Depends on the child, and the method of insulin delivery.

If your on multiple daily injections (MDI) ketones are not really a big concern, unless your child has the stomach flu (in which case they need some carbs to prevent the body from burning fat and generating mild ketones). We seldom test (only if she's spiked really high, or been really sick) and have never found anything.

For those on the pump, ketones are an ever-present danger if there is some malfunction of the site, tubing or pump itself - BG and ketones can shoot up dangerously high very fast (in a matter of hours) and so more frequent testing is needed.

8. sariana

sariana Approved members

Ketones

We are new at this as well, but we were told anytime our 2 year olds glucose was above 300 and when she was ill to test them.

I do not know much about the meters, but I can certainly see how they would be more accurate then the test strips. When we need to test her, we take her latest diaper and squeeze the strips in the diaper (she is still not wanting to tell us before she messes her diaper, however she doesnt like the feeling so she wil tell us right after...lol)

They told us to pay no attention to the glucose part of the strips as that is not very accurate, but the Ketones are accurate enough for "government work" as they say....

9. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I would recommend getting a Precision Xtra Ketone Meter to anyone who doesn't have one. My daughter tested ketones using urine for over 4 years and we all much prefer the meter. It makes testing at school much easier and testing at home is no big deal. Also, please keep in mind that with any illness your child can have low blood sugars and still have significant levels of ketones. High blood sugars do not cause ketones; they can often occur at the same time, but not always. So as others have said, ketones should be checked with any illness or whenever very high.

As Wilf said, ketones aren't as much of an issue on MDI. When my DD was on Lantus/Humalog we usually only had ketones when she was sick. After checking your daughter you will learn the instances where she tends to run ketones and the instances when she doesn't. My daughter has never had ketones with non-fever illnesses like a cold or sinus infection (therefore we rarely check during those times). But the second she starts running a fever or she has vomiting the ketones become ridiculous. Now that we are pumping we have to check much more often since we don't have that lantus the we know is always working. We still don't have ketones that often, but we check them much more than we ever did with MDI.